2 of 6
Bread Bake-Off
Posted: 30 May 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks wonderful Jeannette. Great job! I’ve never made brioche. I think I want to try it one of these days.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 May 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-11-15

Dear Rose, thank you so much !  I am so glad to hear the buns can be frozen, I wasn’t sure how they would defrost, would you put the topping on after defrosting or would it be alright to put it on before freezing?

Posted: 30 May 2009 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Rozanne, if you follow Rose’s recipe you will have success I can assure you and you will want to make them again! tongue rolleye

Posted: 30 May 2009 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Hi, everyone! Julie and Jeanette, your creations look beautiful! I wanted to make the brioche, but I don’t have non-rapid rise yeast on hand and didn’t have time to get to the store today. I’m going to play tomorrow by ear, but I may sit out this bread bake-off. I really want to try the Sticky Buns, though!

I bought some strawberries at the farmers’ market this morning and made a cream cheese pound cake to go with the strawberries. I altered the recipe drastically to try to “balance” the sugar and flour, even though I have no idea what I’m doing!! It was a fun experiment, and it turned out okay - unfortunately, it’s a little overdone (by a perfectionist’s standards) because the timer was going off when I was bathing my 2 year-old. Next time, I’ll probably make the Golden Butter Cake - that one’s hard to beat and there’s no guessing about the outcome.

Shimi, I’ll look forward to seeing your photos!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 31 May 2009 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

I made the brioche for the first time for the bake-off and was very pleased with the results. It was quite easy (didn’t know why I was afraid to try it before) with the food processor.  Left it to rise in the fridge for about 16 hours before shaping and baking.

I divided the dough into 2 unequal pieces; one piece made 6 of the mini-bundt shapes, and the other piece was baked in a 6” pan. Syruped the mini cakes, filled with raspberries and glazed with thinned raspberry conserve, and had them for dessert with some whipped cream. The big bun was sliced the next morning, lightly toasted and spread with butter - yum!

The next time I make this I’ll probably add more butter to the dough. Since I live in the tropics I was afraid the heat would soften the butter too much and it’ll ooze out of the dough, but it was fine. Although the dough did all the rising (apart from in the fridge) in my A/C bedroom LOL!! The kitchen is way too hot at 85F.

Image Attachments
Big brioche2.jpgBrioche group3.jpgBrioche halved.jpg

Posted: 31 May 2009 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette, great job on your brioche, the loaf is nice!  And I love the sliced roll, the texture looks wonderful! 

Shimi, lovely job on your little savarin-type brioches, they sound delicious and are so pretty.  Did you make them for a special occaision?

Rose, thanks so much for the advice on croissant flour- I’ll definitely be on the lookout for “Better for Bread”, believe it or not, my grocery doesn’t carry it, only the AP from Gold Medal.  And now that I’ve made the sticky buns, I can see how adding the topping after baking would be perfect.  Do you still bring the syrup to 244F if you are adding after baking?  It’s so nice to have you helping and advising us!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 31 May 2009 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Congratulations Jeanette and Shimi. Your brioches are lovely!  Makes me wish I was a neighbor. grin  I love the brioche dough.  I’ve made the sticky buns about 6 months ago and they were awesome.

I ran into issues with my croissants… but I’ll still post them… no matter how bad they may look.  I’ve rolled them and put them back in the fridge so I can get some sleep.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 May 2009 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Shimi,  I love the look of your little savarins, they must have tasted really good .  Another one for me to try!

Posted: 31 May 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Wow, these brioches look amazing, Jeannette and Shimi.  I’m also making brioche but the 2 day version so it won’t be baked until tomorrow. I have made the Kugelhopf but not without some issues coming for me.

First I made Rose’s perfect pound cake as Julie advised that the quality of the cake was important.  Now I have 2/3 of a cake to make trifle with!  Problems I have - I don’t think I rolled the dough/schmear roll tightly enough so it did not hold the spiral very well.  In the bundt pan, I was not able to get the loaf evenly thick at the point of overlap hence it is a bit lop-sided.  Also, I don’t think I quite proofed it enough as it did crack, mostly on the outside and a little on the inside wall.  I notice that only where it cracked on the outside did I get the shelling problem, so think if I’d left it to rise another 15 mins it would have looked better.  However, it was 1:30am, so….

Overall, I do find it a bit of an anomaly.  The chocolate cake bit is great to eat on its own and the bread bit is also good as a leaner brioche, but I’m not sure where the Kugelhopf as a whole fits in to the genre.

Annie

Image Attachments
Kug1.jpg

Posted: 31 May 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve been eagerly waiting to see what you’d come up with, Annie!  If you hadn’t mentioned your problems nobody would have noticed any, it looks lovely.  I love the colour of it and the pattern really stands out.  What has happened to your pictures, the last few you have posted seem to have a grey border along the bottom?  Obviously, some technical problem,  I always feel relieved when mine come up at all, I am not that good with technical items, it’s surprising I manage to use a laptop, actually!!! rolleyes

Posted: 31 May 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Jeannette, I’m not able to post pictures any more!  I have 3 to post and they are around 100k each so not too big.  However, when I click on preview, the screen takes ages and then comes up with Microsoft Explorer error.  The post then doesn’t appear for about 10 - 20 mins (that’s why I kept repeating yesterday)and the picture is huge and only half there!  I have two more pics of the inside of the Kugelopf but cannot get them up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Annie

Posted: 31 May 2009 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Let’s hope Hector tunes in, he’s the technical wizard around here I think!

Posted: 31 May 2009 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

shimi, your brioche looks so delicious. I like the raspberries and the conserve with it.

Annie, I love the look of your Kugelhopf. It is so perfect!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 May 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, your kugelhopf looks wonderful!!  Somehow, your crust came out so golden and shiny, and it really picked up the beautiful shape of your pan.  Mine split at the point where the top of the pan ended and the kugel rose above, it’s a little hard to tell, but it seems like yours did too, is that right?  I’m wondering if this would work better in a 12 C pan- do you know the capacity of yours?  I’m attaching a pic so you can see what I mean, I was a little ashamed to post it with the “good” pictures, but in the name of science and learning, I’ll gladly humble myself!  I’m also thinking that if one has one of the older bundts with the dark lining, this would be the perfect recipe for it.

Can’t wait to see your brioche!

Image Attachments
kugel overproofed.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 31 May 2009 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I think it is great that we can learn from each others mistakes/experiences in baking.  We can help each other overcome problems by discussing them and making helpful suggestions.  It is nice when things turn out perfectly but we all have ‘bad’ days or some recipes that don’t work for us.  I know I do anyway!  This ‘bake-off’ exercise should prove a good idea, IMO. cheese

2 of 6