5 of 6
Bread Bake-Off
Posted: 02 June 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Patrincia, thanks so much!  It’s so nice when you stop by!  Any chance you’ll join us for the Father’s Day Heavenly Cakes Bake-Off?  It would be fun to bake with you!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 02 June 2009 03:16 PM

Rozanne - Your ricotta loaves are magazine perfect!  What kind of a board did you have them displayed on?  I had a huge smile on my face when I saw the two tiny loaves - I knew immediately what they were all about.  I bet the little ones were brimming with joy smile.

Thank you Patricia! You’re right they were so excited.
I bought that board about 17yrs ago in England. I don’t why I even bought it. I wasn’t married at the time and had no interest in household items. I can’t believe I’ve had it for so long. All I know is that it is made of wood.  LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Rozanne - I love the board… it’s very Martha!

Julie - I’m planning on it smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 02 June 2009 03:54 PM

Thank you Patirica. It’s a good thing!

Looking forward to the Father’s Day bake off. Glad you are thinking of joining in.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Rozanne - 02 June 2009 03:57 PM
Patrincia - 02 June 2009 03:54 PM

Thank you Patirica. It’s a good thing!

Looking forward to the Father’s Day bake off. Glad you are thinking of joining in.

“It’s a good thing”... HA!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 June 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIE/MAC/D:
  Annie my friend, If you are 88, miles from the nearest supermarket…I must ask then, do you receive the Royal mail there…or do you rely on carrier pidgeon service???

An un~invited guest.

Posted: 02 June 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Patrincia and Rozanne, when I was a child EVERY household had a bread-board just like that, they were part of everyone’s kitchen table!  Now they are out of fashion, everyone goes for rectangular ones or plasticy things with no heart.  It’s funny how things change!

Posted: 02 June 2009 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Jeannette, you are right. My grandmother and also my mum had bread-boards like this. I love those bread-boards.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

you guys are brilliant! the textures!!! i’m swelling with pride.

i wouldn’t worry about perfection—perfection is plastic. a crack or ooze here or there is inviting.

re the croissants, if the butter didn’t break through at all they would be tough. don’t forget this isn’t puff pastry—this has yeast too.

re the caramel to add to top the sticky buns, here’s what i do (and will do on vacation!):

sugar: 1 cup/7 oz./200 grams
corn syrup: 1 tablespoon/20 grams
water: 1/4 cup
heavy cream heated: 6 tablespoons/3 fluid oz./3 oz./88 grams
unsalted butter, softened: 2 tablespoons/1oz./28 grams
vanilla: 2 teaspoons

combine sugar, syrup, and water until sugar is moistened. heat, stirring, til sugar dissolves and syrup bubbling. stop stirring and allow to boil til deep amber 360F/180C. remove from heat and slowly and carefully pour in the hot cream. it will bubble up so be careful.

with a silicone spatular or wooden spoon stir gently scraping the thicker part that settles on the bottom. return to very low heat and stir gently for one min. til uniform and caramel fully dissolved. remove from heat and gently stir in butter. it will separate slightly. pour into 2 cup glass measure in case you want to reheat in microwave and cool 3 minutes. gently stir in the vanilla til uniform in color. pour syrup evenly over buns and set 3 lightly toasted pecans on top of each. pour rest of syrup over the pecan topped buns allow it to run over the sides.

this is my idea of heavenly perfection!

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose, thanks so much for writing out the caramel topping, I can’t wait to try it!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 June 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Rose, thank you so much for giving the caramel topping recipe. I was so thrilled with my brioche dough that I’m planning to making the sticky buns this weekend, so the timing is just perfect!

Patrincia, thank you. The savarins were so delicious I ate 3!!! Not great for my ever expanding waist/hip line….but totally worth it.

Posted: 03 June 2009 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

this is so exiting and well done everyone, i won’t spoil your perfection by posting my bread stories =)  but be sure to check June 3rd weekly wednesday youtube posting for Rose’s fabulous Cranberry Walnut Bread!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 June 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

I finally caught up on the bread bake-off. I made the yeasted waffles from TCB. They were really yummy. I like the tanginess the yeast imparts and the waffles were really crispy - probably somewhat in part to the stick of butter in the recipe! wink I put strawberry butter made from homemade strawberry preserves on mine with some syrup. Quite good! One of these days, I’ll try out the bread. My biggest hindrance in this bake-off was that the only yeast I had was the Rapid Rise and I kept forgetting to get the regular kind! Now, I’ve got two more packets of the regular kind to get busy with…

Looking forward to the Father’s Day cakes this week and weekend!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 17 June 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Strawberry butter sounds delicious. I wonder how one would substitute Instant yeast for the regular kind and vice versa. Because I don’t make a lot of bread I find myself in the same situation as you.

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Your waffles sound wonderful.

Here’s what I have for Converting instant yeast if you want to use fresh or active dry:

Instant to Active Dry:  multiply by 1.36
Instant to Fresh:  multiply by 3
Active Dry to Instant:  multiply by 0.75
Active Dry to Fresh:  multiply by 2.2
Fresh to Instant:  multiply by 0.33
Fresh to Active Dry:  multiply by 0.45

To be clear, the first type of yeast listed is what the recipe calls for, and the second is what you have on hand and want to use.  So, for example, if you wanted to use Active Dry yeast for a recipe calling for 2tsp, you would use 2 3/4 teaspoons yeast (2 x 1.36 = 2.72).

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

5 of 6