Rhubarb Curd Recipe?
Posted: 29 May 2009 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

With rhubarb season upon us, has anyone ever had/made rhubarb curd?  Or is it not suitable (acidic…needs sugar, so it seems like a contender).  I am thinking it would be lovely (both in colour and flavour) and that it would make a great addition to buttercreams, etc.  Perhaps I will get the courage to formulate a recipe…

Posted: 01 June 2009 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Sounds interesting! Would you cook & puree the rhubarb? Isn’t it kind of stringy? I think it would be worth a try!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 01 June 2009 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I was thinking about pressing it (after thawing from frozen) and releasing juice.  I don’t know if it would be worthwhile to use Rose’s method of concentrating the juices?

Posted: 01 June 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hi Sherrie,

On p. 257 of Pie & Pastry Bible, she has a recipe for a fresh strawberry and rhubarb tart. In this recipe, the rhubarb is cooked on the stovetop with sugar and cornstarch, cooled, and then spread into a pie shell and topped with fresh strawberries.

I don’t know if you are looking for this kind of thing, but I can tell you that it is scrumptious. I made a version of this tart for a family gathering, using a puff-pastry shell instead of a tart shell. Yum!

Were you thinking along the lines of a lemon curd, where you add egg?

Posted: 01 June 2009 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Christine,

Yes…I was thinking more of a curd rather than a (?) filling.  I’ve been toying with the idea for awhile…I think it would have the most amazing purply-pink color—but I’m not sure how it would compare to the lemon curd in terms of sugar/egg/degree of thickness.  Apparently the more acidic, the thicker the curd.  I guess I should just try it and go from there smile  I’ve made a tart with marscarpone cheese and a rhubarb compote topping…and I agree it’s awesome (not from P&PB;, though).

Posted: 21 June 2009 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Here it is…after trying to figure out what ratio of sugar to use and how to get rhubarb juice, I’ve made a reasonably successful rhubarb curd.  After investigation…rhubarb and passionfruit have pH values that are similar.  This lead me to adapt Rose’s Passionfruit curd recipe for rhubarb.  The only other question mark was how to get the right amount of juice.  I used 350 g of rhubarb and to it added 45 g water.  I cooked the rhubarb covered (or in micro. covered) until soft.  I then strained and pressed out the juices from the rhubarb.  I then reduced the juices in the micro until I had 9T.  I used 6 T in the recipe (as per passionfruit curd) and added the remaining 3 T were added after the curd was strained.  (Passionfruit curd is on P.570 of PPB).  The curd is a beautiful coral colour (the yolks made it less pinky) and has a nice rhubarb flavour.  I heated to 188F…could not bring myself to go higher. 

If I was to make it again, I’d probably use upwards of 400g of rhubarb as I would like it just to have a bit more tartness and rhubarb flavour.  I plan to make an ice cream tart with it—I adore vanilla and rhubarb together, so I may add the curd to vanilla ice cream. 

I’ll post pics once the adventure is complete!

Posted: 24 June 2009 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Here are the pics of the rhubarb curd and ice cream tart.  I cheated and mixed the curd with commercial ice cream (didn’t have time to make) 2:1 (the lesser being the curd).  I poached slender rhubarb stalks and shaved slices of vanilla bean with a bit of sugar and water.  Unfortunately the rhubarb overcooked, so I strained the sauce and drizzled the tarts with the syrup and vanilla beans.  The curd was firm, but it did “slump” a bit when I spooned out a large amount—but with removing small amounts it kept it’s shape.

Image Attachments
Image00001.jpgImage00005.jpg

Posted: 24 June 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, I’ve loved following this process, very interesting.  Your finished tart looks lovely!  Thanks for posting.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 June 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Sherrie, the tart looks wonderful! I love the colour of the curd.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/