Cocoa Powder Recommendation Request
Posted: 14 May 2017 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2017-03-08

I made the German Chocolate cake from “Rose’s Heavenly Cake” but wasn’t satisfied with the results. It’s not the recipe that was the problem, rather my choice of cocoa powder. I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder to make the sponge. A mistake. It gave me an absolutely delicious chocolate cake, but it didn’t marry well with the filling. I’ve made chocolate cake and buttercream with that cocoa powder and loved the results. But it’s just too intense for this application. Can anyone recommend a mellower alkalized cocoa powder?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted: 14 May 2017 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1436
Joined  2008-09-27

Can’t you just use less of it?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 May 2017 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-03-08

My preference would be to use the specified amount to maintain the texture and consistency of the batter process. Thanks for your thought…

Dan

Posted: 14 May 2017 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1436
Joined  2008-09-27
golfermd - 14 May 2017 03:35 PM

maintain the texture and consistency of the batter process

A small reduction in cocoa isn’t likely to have any negative structural effects. If you must, replace it with flour, corn starch, potato starch, etc.

Alternatively, you could refrain from blooming the cocoa in boiling water, as the recipe calls for.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 May 2017 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-03-08

Thanks. I’m learning new things here.

Dan