White chocolate deluxe buttercream
Posted: 01 June 2017 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2017-06-01

Hi ,
I have a quick question about the Rose’s white chocolate deluxe buttercream from the Heavenly cakes book .

1- is there any way I can tint/color this icing ? I’m a bit concerned about tinting/coloring it as I don’t want the chocolate to seize up on me ...
2- is this icing firm enough to pipe flowers ?
3- will this icing hold up in a warm climate ?

My daughters birthday is 2 months from now and the practice sessions are now underway. I have decided to bake and decorate her cake myself and am hoping it will be a success .
Really looking forward to any tips or helpful advise anyone can offer ... thanks !

Posted: 22 June 2017 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2017-01-05
H-A-M - 01 June 2017 10:15 AM

Hi ,
I have a quick question about the Rose’s white chocolate deluxe buttercream from the Heavenly cakes book .

1- is there any way I can tint/color this icing ? I’m a bit concerned about tinting/coloring it as I don’t want the chocolate to seize up on me ...
2- is this icing firm enough to pipe flowers ?
3- will this icing hold up in a warm climate ?

My daughters birthday is 2 months from now and the practice sessions are now underway. I have decided to bake and decorate her cake myself and am hoping it will be a success .
Really looking forward to any tips or helpful advise anyone can offer ... thanks !

If you’re referring to the buttercream on pg 176-177 no you cannot pipe flowers with this buttercream. This buttercream is a custard and cream cheese blend, it produces a creamy soft buttercream that won’t even turn hard in the refrigerator. So this buttercream will not pipe a stiff clean pedal shape, nor will it hold its shape.

The best buttercream for piping is a boiled sugar buttercream.  Look for Italian meringue buttercream recipe.  Most recipes will tell you how to add white or dark chocolate to the meringue buttercream. 

Depending on the temperature and humidity and the size and complexity of you flower designs, you may need to substitute up to 25% of the butter for shortening.  If you go that route, I’d recommend a high ratio shortening.  You’ll have to purchase it online or at a cake decorating specialty shop.  Depending on the size and number of flowers you made need to make a separate batch of buttercream just for flowers.

In regards to coloring a product that contains white chocolate, use either a powdered or oil based food dye. The oil based food dyes are normal labeled as candy food coloring. Powdered food dyes are more expensive, but create excellent color.  A little goes a long way with powdered. They also have the added advantage of versatility as you can use them in almost any application.  Brand is important. Pretty much all advanced bakers will tell you Wilton is TERRIBLE! Americolor, Lorann, or Amoretti are the best food dyes.  Americolor is more readily available.  It’s now in stores like Michael’s and Jo-Ann.  But you won’t find Lorann and Amoretti locally unless you have an extraordinary restaurant supply store in your area.

And just for future reference, you’ll reach the appropriate audience if you post cake related questions in the “Cakes” topic board instead of this one.