Cupcake/Muffins Baked Weird On Bottom
Posted: 14 June 2017 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2016-08-27

Hello,

I recently pulled a batch of muffins out the oven (this has happened before to cupcakes in the past) and I am stumped. I couldn’t find anything on google.

The bottoms of the muffin/cupcake look buckled in the liner. The cupcake appeared to have started baking about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) above the bottom of the liner.

does anyone know why this happens?

Thank you.

Posted: 14 June 2017 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2007-11-18
CakerBecky - 14 June 2017 02:14 PM

Hello,

I recently pulled a batch of muffins out the oven (this has happened before to cupcakes in the past) and I am stumped. I couldn’t find anything on google.

The bottoms of the muffin/cupcake look buckled in the liner. The cupcake appeared to have started baking about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) above the bottom of the liner.

Thank you.

CAKER BECKEY:
  Good afternoon. If you post the recipe & the directions & how you mixed the ingredients we then can tell where your baking disappoint lies. Tell then enjoy the day.,

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 June 2017 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2016-08-27

I used Rose’s recipe:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/9840/rose-levy-beranbaum039s-banana-muffins-bread-bible

But this has also happened when I made cupcakes with the Especially Dark Chocolate Cake recipe by Hershey.

Thanks

Posted: 21 June 2017 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2017-01-05
CakerBecky - 14 June 2017 02:14 PM

Hello,

Thank you.

Your description is kind of vague, so not knowing the problem it’s hard to say. 

That said, the material of the pan really affects the finished product. I find anodized aluminum pans, non-stick pans, ceramic coated pans, painted pans etc. to produce an inferior product. 

If it’s aluminum I want natural aluminum like Nordic Ware natural aluminum commercial.  My favorite muffin pans are Chicago Metallic Commercial II Uncoated aluminum.  I’ve been in a lot of commercial kitchens including CIA and I’ve never used or seen anything other than uncoated aluminum or metal in a commercial kitchen. I have some fat daddio anodized cake and loaf pans, some grossly overpriced non stick Sur La Table and they collect dust in cupboards.  I bake several times a week.  I always reach for the uncoasted, natural metal pans and tins.