Can any recipe for cakes/cupcakes be made with reverse creaming method?
Posted: 15 June 2017 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2016-08-27

I was curious if Rose’s blueberry muffin recipe could be made with the reverse creaming method instead of the regular butter/sugar creaming method?

Thanks.

Posted: 21 June 2017 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1439
Joined  2008-09-27

I’m sure it can, but if Rose didn’t use that, there probably was a reason. Cupcakes/muffins often need to be a bit sturdier than a layer cake, so it may not be desirable to make it more tender.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 June 2017 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2017-01-05
CakerBecky - 15 June 2017 07:23 PM

I was curious if Rose’s blueberry muffin recipe could be made with the reverse creaming method instead of the regular butter/sugar creaming method?

Thanks.

Yes you can use reverse creaming/high ratio/2-step method whatever you choose to call it. 

Cake batter is traditionally creamed.  Classic muffin method does not use creaming, so there’s really very little deviation between classic muffin method and reverse creaming method. In fact muffin recipes are usually mixed by hand, not in a mixer.  All the wet ingredients get dumped into the dry ingredients.

Be careful to not overmix and use a brand flour with a lower protein content like Gold Medal, Pillsbury, or White Lily.  No King Arthur—their AP flour is 11.7% protein.  The other brands I listed are between 9.6% and 10% protein.

When you consider using reverse creaming there are two things to keep in mind:

1. Flour to sugar ratio: The ratio of sugar by WEIGHT, NOT VOLUME must be equal or slightly more than the weight of the flour

2. Butter temperature: the butter should be slightly cold, not “room temperature”. It should be about 68 degrees. I just stick an instant read thermometer into the butter to ensure the ideal temperature.

If you’re using the same recipe I have, the sugar and flour are equal in weight (100 grams each), so there’s no problem using method.

BTW:  I use the reverse cream method almost exclusively for all cake, cupcake, and muffins. I can’t remember the last time I used the creaming method.