Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Posted: 17 June 2017 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2017-03-08

We made this cake today from the “Cake Bible”. We have the following comments:

Strengths: 1. The cake is wonderfully delicious, the sour cream adds its undertone of tang.
          2.  The topping and filling are perfect, the best we have ever tasted and made.

Weaknesses: Only one. The cake flour makes the texture of the crumb too fine for a coffee cake. Perhaps a combination of cake flour and AP flour, or just all AP flour, would make a better crumb. It falls apart far too easily.

Dan

Posted: 21 June 2017 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2017-01-05
golfermd - 17 June 2017 07:07 PM

We made this cake today from the “Cake Bible”. We have the following comments:

Strengths: 1. The cake is wonderfully delicious, the sour cream adds its undertone of tang.
          2.  The topping and filling are perfect, the best we have ever tasted and made.

Weaknesses: Only one. The cake flour makes the texture of the crumb too fine for a coffee cake. Perhaps a combination of cake flour and AP flour, or just all AP flour, would make a better crumb. It falls apart far too easily.

Dan

The only time i use bleached cake flour is for a chiffon cake or white cake.

The rest of the time I prefer to mix a very high quality AP flour with low protein content and pastry flour.  I use Central Milling Organic Beehive (10% - 10.5% protein, Hard Red Winter Wheat, malted, unbleached) and Central Milling Organic Pastry Flour (10% protein, Soft White Wheat, unbleached). 

I usually blend 55% Beehive to 45% Pastry.