Cake Bible’s Chocolate Spike Cake
Posted: 10 July 2017 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2017-03-08

In my quest to try many cakes from Rose’s books. I gave this one a whirl this weekend. The flavor of the crumb is quite possibly the best chocolate cake Maria (my partner) and I have ever tasted. Yeah, it’s that good! The cake is the “Chocolate Fudge Cake.” The crumb itself did not have a very good structure. It easily fell apart. I think that I did not get a very good incorporation of the bloomed cocoa mixture, or I beat the final mixture too high for too long.

I loved the taste of the “Milk Chocolate Buttercream.” The texture was that of a very smooth fudge. I don’t have enough experience yet with buttercreams to know how each variation should come out in the end. I iced the cake like the buttercream was a ganache and let it set up overnight (it was a bit late when I finished). Also, the local grocery chain didn’t have baking milk chocolate so I purchased Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips which contain soy lecithin as a stabilizer. I’m unsure how much this additive affected the final texture. In WWII the GI’s had to thinly slice their chocolate bars in order to get them to melt to make hot chocolate.

Dan