Cake Bible Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Posted: 15 July 2017 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2017-03-08

This is really wonderful. It’s rich, moist and lemony. The only change I made was to mix cake flour with AP flour at 35% (cake) and 65% (AP) by weight. If you don’t already have one I highly recommend getting a kitchen scale that measures weight by grams and ounces (they normally also have kilograms and pounds) because Rose gives her recipes by volume and weight. If you are going to scale up or down, then you need to do that by weight rather than volume. There are wonderful resources here to discuss scaling of leaveners, which aren’t necessarily linear scaling in nature as I understand.

Posted: 15 July 2017 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2017-01-05
golfermd - 15 July 2017 01:00 PM

This is really wonderful. It’s rich, moist and lemony. The only change I made was to mix cake flour with AP flour at 35% (cake) and 65% (AP) by weight. If you don’t already have one I highly recommend getting a kitchen scale that measures weight by grams and ounces (they normally also have kilograms and pounds) because Rose gives her recipes by volume and weight. If you are going to scale up or down, then you need to do that by weight rather than volume. There are wonderful resources here to discuss scaling of leaveners, which aren’t necessarily linear scaling in nature as I understand.

Since I like to bake these into mini Bundt cakes I too, do not use cake flour for this cake.  I think cake flour is a little bit too delicate for bundt cakes. I blend 55% all purpose flour to 45% pastry flour by weight.

I use an all purpose flour milled from hard red winter wheat with a low 10% - 10.5% protein.  The Pastry flour is soft white wheat with a 10% protein content.  Both are organic unbleached flours. 

I rub the lemon zest into the sugar with my fingers to release the oils. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes.

I make a cup of lemon simple syrup that I transfer to a squeeze bottle after it’s cooled.  I give the cakes a good squirt of simple syrup right after I pulled the cakes out of the oven.  After they completely cool and I remove from the pan, I add a bit more simple syrup and wrap then.  Depending on the ambient temperature I either store them in the refrigerator or on the counter overnight.  In the morning I apply a bit more simple syrup.