INSTANT CLEARJEL
Posted: 02 August 2017 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2017-03-13

I used the Instant in a fresh Peach pie last week with excellent results. Done exactly as we are supposed to do, meaning I mixed it thoroughly with the sugar first.
We had a few peaches left after canning our bushel of RedHaven’s. I commented to my wife that maybe I should make a recipe for Peach Crisp with the remainder, I had done that once before.
Thought I would go outside the rules and mix the ClearJel with the sugars as before except, I placed the unsweetened Peaches in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan and sprinkled all the dry ingredients that had been mixed with cold butter chunks over the peaches.
Baked for 35 minutes at 350 with foil over the pan, in a convection oven then reduced the temperature to 325 for an additional 10 minutes with the foil removed. Allowed the pan about an hour to cool on a rack. Couldn’t wait any longer. lol I had to see what transpired with the ability to thicken the peach juice while the mixture was baking instead of mixing cold and then baking. Texture is superb, fantastic “GOO” emanating from the peaches up through the dry ingredients on top. Around the outside edge of the pan where the juice bubbled up it is slightly more Gelled than the interior.
A portion of Home Made Vanilla Ice Cream made with Dana’s Recipe is going to happen in a few minutes.

ferg

Posted: 11 September 2017 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2017-06-28

Sounds fantastic.  Do you use any oatmeal in the topping?  I find that the concentration of the sugars is too much for my system and by adding the oatmeal helps to cut that.  I use the same technique in apple crisp.  It absorbs some of the high sugar ‘goo’ you speak of.  I have not come across Instant Cleargel.  Do you need to make any alterations to your recipe for this?

Posted: 11 September 2017 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2017-03-13

Margot,

I didn’t use any oatmeal. I have a Love/Hate relationship with Oatmeal in recipes. lol

The Instant ClearJel is great. I mixed it cold as you are supposed to do. You can see what the juice is going to look like before baking. No changes in recipes except Don’t use any thickening agent that may be called for. I bought it on Amazon I think. Better price.

We have used Corn Starch or flour for thickening for along time. Taste changes too much with those. The Instant ClearJel gives no noticeable change.

Ferg

Posted: 11 September 2017 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2017-06-28

Well, oatmeal has always been a staple in my family kitchen.  We use it in lots of different things.

I’ll look for the Instant ClearJel.  It sounds like it has a lot of uses.