Wedding Cheesecake
Posted: 02 June 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-02

This is a wedding cheesecake I made for a chef in Colorado and his wonderful, very granola GF.  Charles is the only person I know who could eat two full-sized pieces of my cheesecake and not keel over.

There are six cakes, all different flavors, and the whole thing had to be set up at a campsite, as the wedding was outdoors at Lemon Lake, Colorado.  After the pictures, I offered to cut and serve the cake so the bride could enjoy her special day.

I love cheesecake for a wedding cake because it’s the only cake that’s even remotely edible after 1 year of being frozen (as in - save the top layer for your anniversary).

Posted: 02 June 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15

Great cheesecakes… what were the flavors?  How many wedding guests were there?  Love the term granola gf wink.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 02 June 2009 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yum i love cheesecake!!!!

Posted: 02 June 2009 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02

Left stack:
Key Lime/Coconut Crust
Mango/Vanilla Wafer Crust
Mocha/Chocolate Wafer Crust

Right Stack:
Grand Marnier/Coconut Crust (they kept this for anniversary)
Chocolate Raspberry/Chocolate Wafer Crust
Plain/Graham Crust

The bride’s mother was supposed to pay for the cake.  The bride gave her my phone number.  The MOB called me and asked, “What other kinds of cake do you make?”  I said, “Many types - but the couple have made it clear they want cheesecake.”  The MOB reneged on her offer to pay for the cake.  When I offered to lower the price a little since the bride and groom were going to have to pay for it themselves, they insisted I keep the price intact.

Fast forward to the wedding day.  The guests went completely nuts for the cake.  Even the MOB had to admit it was a success.  Guests remembered that cake even two to three years later and would bring it up at other parties.

I’m so thrilled that wedding cake is no longer cardboard covered in sugary goo and is now recognized as an actual component of a top shelf celebration meal.

Posted: 02 June 2009 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Lovely cheesecakes.  How awful that the MOB renegged on you.  I am a church organist, and I have been stiffed at a wedding once, and I have stood on many a receiving line at the end of the ceremony with my hand out, believe me. It’s not pleasant.  Once, I recallthat all 4 of the parents pulled wallets out, trying to scrape up my fee. (This was in my early days of playing in church; now it’s cash in advance, CASH.)  Next time you do this, get cash upfront to make sure you don’t get burnt.  It was very nice of the bride to step up and pay you what you deserved.

Posted: 03 June 2009 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
MrsM - 02 June 2009 11:04 PM

Lovely cheesecakes.  How awful that the MOB renegged on you.  I am a church organist, and I have been stiffed at a wedding once, and I have stood on many a receiving line at the end of the ceremony with my hand out, believe me. It’s not pleasant.  Once, I recallthat all 4 of the parents pulled wallets out, trying to scrape up my fee. (This was in my early days of playing in church; now it’s cash in advance, CASH.)  Next time you do this, get cash upfront to make sure you don’t get burnt.  It was very nice of the bride to step up and pay you what you deserved.

Oh, it wasn’t me she stiffed - it was her own daughter.  The B&G made it clear that they would pay me - I just felt so bad for them.  They are really stand up people and I knew I would be paid.  The MOB’s lousy attitude is what bothered me.  If her daughter wanted individual cups of tiramisu, it should have been up to THEM.  The MOB’s contribution was conditional and that’s just wrong.

Posted: 03 June 2009 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

The MOB?s contribution was conditional and that?s just wrong.

Wrong, but so common.

Lovely cheesecakes, and I couldn’t agree more that the trend towards better-tasting, more diversified wedding cakes is a pleasure to see!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 03 June 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The flavour combinations sounds lovely. What sizes were the cakes?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 June 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
Julie - 03 June 2009 11:27 AM

The MOB?s contribution was conditional and that?s just wrong.

Wrong, but so common.

Lovely cheesecakes, and I couldn’t agree more that the trend towards better-tasting, more diversified wedding cakes is a pleasure to see!

ANYONE reneging on an agreement sucks - but it’s all the more hurtful when it’s a person’s mother doing the reneging. 

Until the last 5-10 years, wedding cake was really the “Rodney Dangerfield” of the wedding meal.  It got no respect - no respect at all!

Posted: 05 June 2009 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-02
Rozanne - 03 June 2009 01:45 PM

The flavour combinations sounds lovely. What sizes were the cakes?

The three on the left stack were 10” (standard springforms) and the right stack were 7” 10” (standard springforms) and 12” baked in a huge wilton (non-springform) cake pan.  Getting that cake out of the pan was a feat of engineering and juggler’s coordination.  I put strips of foil in the bottom of the pan which hung well over the sides.  I covered a cake circle in foil, built the crust into the pan and poured in the cheesecake batter.  On site, my BF and I held the strips and my daughter gently pulled the cake pan off the cake. 

I brought the cakes to the site in coolers, still in their springforms.  I made a flavored whipped cream for each cake and decorated them on site.  I think I had every piece of cake decorating equipment I owned with me - I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.