White Chocolate Whisper- how do to ombre cake layers?
Posted: 07 August 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-03-24

Hello all!

I am a devotee of Rose’s White Chocolate Whisper Cake and I will be making it again in a few days for my niece’s 2nd birthday. I had a great success with it last year and it’s just magic paired with the White Ganache.

My question: I’m inspired by these ombre-toned layer cakes and am thinking about how this could work with Rose’s reciple? I know some cakes online are 4-5 layers and quite tall (with regular-sized layers which seems a little inelegant) but I wonder if I could I just make thinner layers (3 layers instead of the original 2 so it doesn’t get too flimsy)? If so, what temperature and for how long would they cook for? I’m wary of drying out the layers!

For an example of what I’m thinking, see attached image:)

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/redirection!

Image Attachments
IMG_5233edit(1).jpg

Posted: 08 August 2017 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2017-01-05
housecat - 07 August 2017 12:08 PM

Hello all!

I am a devotee of Rose’s White Chocolate Whisper Cake and I will be making it again in a few days for my niece’s 2nd birthday. I had a great success with it last year and it’s just magic paired with the White Ganache.

My question: I’m inspired by these ombre-toned layer cakes and am thinking about how this could work with Rose’s reciple? I know some cakes online are 4-5 layers and quite tall (with regular-sized layers which seems a little inelegant) but I wonder if I could I just make thinner layers (3 layers instead of the original 2 so it doesn’t get too flimsy)? If so, what temperature and for how long would they cook for? I’m wary of drying out the layers!

Yes, you can just add less batter in the pan. I bake thin 1” layers at 325 degrees and start checking doneness around 20 minutes into the bake depending on the size of the pan.  When I bake multicolor cake layers, I use jelly roll pans.  I have them in sizes from quarter sheets to 3/4 (aka 2/3).  They are all 1” deep, so are the perfect height for a single layer. I use cake rings to cut out the layers after the cakes cool.  I prefer this method since it eliminates the crust on the sides.  I then use a knife and gently peel off the top crust.  When you color a cake batter, its important to remove the crust if you want your color to pop. I bake a very light white cake, but even the palest brown crust distracts for the color.

The recipe you use is important as the batter color will effect the color of the cake.  You want a batter that is really white.  So as little egg yolk as possible. Also consider how ingredients like orange zest and juice will effect the finish batter color. 

I find gel paste best.  I prefer Americolor to wilton.  Also, the color will fade during baking, so color the batter darker than you want it.

edit: im not familiar with the recipe you mentioned, but if theres is chocolate in the batter, then you should probably use a food color labeled for candy or mix gel color with Americolor Flo-Coat.  the Flo-Coat converts the color so it can be used in applications like candy.  Flo-Coat will also make the color added to real buttercream mix in properly.

Posted: 08 August 2017 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2017-01-05
housecat - 07 August 2017 12:08 PM

Hello all!

Yes, you can just add less batter in the pan. I bake thin 1” layers at 325 degrees and start checking doneness around 20 minutes into the bake depending on the size of the pan.  When I bake multicolor cake layers, I use jelly roll pans.  I have them in sizes from quarter sheets to 3/4 (aka 2/3).  They are all 1” deep, so are the perfect height for a single layer. I use cake rings to cut out the layers after the cakes cool.  I prefer this method since it eliminates the crust on the sides.  I then use a knife and gently peel off the top crust.  When you color a cake batter, its important to remove the crust if you want your color to pop. I bake a very light white cake, but even the palest brown crust distracts for the color.

The recipe you use is important as the batter color will effect the color of the cake.  You want a batter that is really white.  So as little egg yolk as possible. Also consider how ingredients like orange zest and juice will effect the finish batter color. 

I find gel paste best.  I prefer Americolor to wilton.  Also, the color will fade during baking, so color the batter darker than you want it.