Charlottes and Instant clearjel
Posted: 08 August 2017 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-08-08

Hi,

I’m playing with 2 charlottes from TCB and could really benefit from some advice.

I’m working on a version of the Etheral Pear Charlotte, so far I’ve substituted the biscuit with the Almond Chiffon cake from RHC, will replace the raspberry jam for pear butter/jam/curd and added a syrup brushed on that uses a bit of the pear poaching liquid with a splash of almond liqueur.  Tomorrow I’m going to work on the filling, ideally I will use the Bavarian portion of the pear filling but replace the Italian meringue with stabilized whipped cream…. here is where I’m struggling:
I would like to purée 1 poached pear (I made an extra) and add it to the Bavarian cream, possible with a swirl of pear butter. I expect the liquid from the poached pear will destroy the Bavarian cream. I would like to counter that by adding instant clearjel (with a little sugar) to the pear purée, before finishing the Bavarian cream…but
I have no idea what will happen when I combine a pear puree stabilized with instant clear jel to a cream stabilized with either gelatin or cornstarch.

I have the same issue with the strawberry charlotte (I pulled inspiration from the strawberry Maria from TCB (replaced biscuit base with chocolate butter cake and sides with white velvet cake. ). I do not care for the taste of cooked fruit, and the cordon rose strawberry conserve exceeds my patience. My hope is to mash strawberries, treat them with sugar and instant clear jel them incorporate that fresh mix into whipped cream to make strawberry cloud cream.

Does anyone know how clearjel will react when introduced to a mixture that contains other stabilizers?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Posted: 09 August 2017 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2017-01-05
Prin - 08 August 2017 11:22 PM

Hi,

I’m playing with 2 charlottes from TCB and could really benefit from some advice.

I’m working on a version of the Etheral Pear Charlotte, so far I’ve substituted the biscuit with the Almond Chiffon cake from RHC, will replace the raspberry jam for pear butter/jam/curd and added a syrup brushed on that uses a bit of the pear poaching liquid with a splash of almond liqueur.  Tomorrow I’m going to work on the filling, ideally I will use the Bavarian portion of the pear filling but replace the Italian meringue with stabilized whipped cream…. here is where I’m struggling:
I would like to purée 1 poached pear (I made an extra) and add it to the Bavarian cream, possible with a swirl of pear butter. I expect the liquid from the poached pear will destroy the Bavarian cream. I would like to counter that by adding instant clearjel (with a little sugar) to the pear purée, before finishing the Bavarian cream…but
I have no idea what will happen when I combine a pear puree stabilized with instant clear jel to a cream stabilized with either gelatin or cornstarch.

I have the same issue with the strawberry charlotte (I pulled inspiration from the strawberry Maria from TCB (replaced biscuit base with chocolate butter cake and sides with white velvet cake. ). I do not care for the taste of cooked fruit, and the cordon rose strawberry conserve exceeds my patience. My hope is to mash strawberries, treat them with sugar and instant clear jel them incorporate that fresh mix into whipped cream to make strawberry cloud cream.

Does anyone know how clearjel will react when introduced to a mixture that contains other stabilizers?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

1. Italian meringue will not destabilize and does not weep. Stabilized whip cream will not remain stable more than 24 hours   As it destabilizes it will deflate and weep. Stabilizing only delays the process, it doesn’t prevent it.

When liquid is an issue extracts or flavorings are normally used.

https://amoretti.com/search?q=Pear+extracts&type=product

https://amoretti.com/search?q=Strawberry+extract&type=product

2. Regarding strawberries. Yes you can use instant clear jel in fresh fruit without cooking the fruit. Instant clear jel is a modified cornstarch that thinckens without heat.