Hold cake batter
Posted: 09 August 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-08-09

Hi I am new to this forum and want to thank you all for sharing knowledge!
I have been reading some bakers that said that it is perfectly ok to prepare cake batter and hold in fridge to bake another day. They claim batter would be fine in fridge for up to a week.  Do you think this will really work with RLB cake recipes?
Thanks

Posted: 09 August 2017 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2007-11-18
Elisasanc - 09 August 2017 11:43 AM

I have been reading some bakers that said that it is perfectly ok to prepare cake batter and hold in fridge to bake another day. They claim batter would be fine in fridge for up to a week.  Do you think this will really work with RLB cake recipes?
Thanks

Good afternoon Elisasanc:
  Welcome to our baking forum. I have never did what you have described. Once I put part of my cheesecake custard concocoction overnite in the fridge & I thought that my cheesecake came out better for it.

The only thing I can advise you this. As you know Baking soda begins doing it’s thing the moment it touches moisture. Soooo, I would consider not adding the soda till you are ready to pan the batter. Then mix it in & with a spatula mix well & bake.

I hope this info will help you.

Enjoy the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 10 August 2017 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2017-01-05
Elisasanc - 09 August 2017 11:43 AM

Thanks

If the cake is a foam cake, leavened by egg whites, it will not hold.  The egg whites will destabilize within hours. the batter will bake up flat.

If it’s a creamed butter cake or quick bread batter, you can freeze it up to two months.  Prepare the batter as instructed. Place it in a freezer Ziploc bag. Squeeze all the excess air out. Place it in the freezer. The day before you want to use it, place the frozen batter into the refrigerator to thaw.  When thawed, snip one corner of the bag and dispense into prepared cake pan.  Given the temperature, you made have to bake it five or so minutes longer.

I’ve never heard of storing cake batter in the refrigerator.  You can try it.