Lime cake with Coconut…
Posted: 24 August 2017 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-08-24

Hello to everyone:

I am somewhat new to baking, and have been on a quest to find a cake recipe along these parameters:

Does anyone have, or know of a bundt/pound cake recipe that makes use of fresh limes (preferably not key limes), with the added flavor complement of coconut.  Not a big fan on the texture of shredded/flaked coconut in baked goods, but using coconut cream, or milk, is absolutely fine.

Any help or leads would be great…

Thanks in advance grin

Posted: 24 August 2017 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2017-01-05
deannaldbtr - 24 August 2017 09:16 AM

Hello to everyone:

I am somewhat new to baking, and have been on a quest to find a cake recipe along these parameters:

Does anyone have, or know of a bundt/pound cake recipe that makes use of fresh limes (preferably not key limes), with the added flavor complement of coconut.  Not a big fan on the texture of shredded/flaked coconut in baked goods, but using coconut cream, or milk, is absolutely fine.

Any help or leads would be great…

Thanks in advance grin

You won’t get coconut flavor from coconut milk or cream.  Just open up a can and taste it—there’s no flavor.  I just recently baked a dozen or so coconut cakes, only to find none had any coconut flavor.  I tried recipes with coconut milk, coconut cream, and a combination of coconut milk/cream and shredded coconut. I tried at least 6 different brands of coconut milk/cream.  They taste awful, and all lack coconut flavor.  I ended up researching and found you have to use a flavoring or extract to get decent coconut flavor in the cake itself.

But buyer beware, the coconut extracts sold in the grocery store is terrible, as is Wilton sold in the craft stores and cake decorating stores.  The LorAnn coconut oil wasn’t too bad.  But a quality extract works best. If you don’t have a restaurant supply store in your area, then check online.  Olive Nation is a good source for extracts and flavorings. 

Divine Specialties (World Wide Foods) and Amoretti also sell quality flavorings.  But the cater to the trade, so they are expensive.

Even if a recipe calls for key lime, you can use the Persian lime.  I don’t like key lime—I find them bitter.  So even my key lime pie is made with the Persian lime.

There’s a ton of coconut lime bundt cake recipes online.  Or you can convert a orange bundt cake recipe.  Simply use lime zest and juice in place of the orange.  Then add coconut flavoring. 

Posted: 02 September 2017 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2010-01-18

I did a really amazing White Chocolate Coconut Layer Cake fwith Mango filling from this recipe: http://gracessweetlife.com/2012/04/white-chocolate-coconut-cake-with-mango-curd-and-7-minute-frosting/ The c.oconut flavour was out of this world, and the texture was divine. The only thing I changed was to reduce the sugar in the cake as I am at 3500 Ft in Alberta. I often find American and British cakes far too high in sugar and that I can safely reduce it by anywhere from 10 - 25%. (the melted white chocolate adds sweetness). I also opted NOT to frost this with 7-minute frosting as it’s just too overpoweringly sweet for our tastes. I used Rose’s Coconut Cloud Whipped cream, which was fabulous! The mango filling was perfect. A Passion filling - or in your case - a Lime Curd - would be fantastic too! The texture of this cake is very rich and buttery like a pound cake.  I’m sure you could make it in a Bundt quite successfully. There is also a very good recipe for Lime and Blueberry pound cake in Fine Cooking. Good luck and let us know which one you tried!

Posted: 05 September 2017 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2010-01-18

Here you go - I found the one in FC for you just now. Give it a try. Their cakes don’t always work for me, I have to tweek the balance of ingreds but most of the time they are good
. http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/key-lime-coconut-yogurt-cake