Help Chocolate Frosting for German Chocolate Cake - Cake filling and Cupcakes
Posted: 28 August 2017 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-08-28

Hello Everyone -
I am making an eggless German chocolate cake for a dear friend’s birthday party (40!).  The cake recipe I found is very good - when it is paired with the chocolate frosting and coconut.

Background
I am using the frosting as the cake filling and the top of cupcakes (swirl).  I am currently using 100% coca, milk and sugar.  Boil to a consistence and cool.  Originally when I made it, the frosting was very very thick - almost to thick for the cake - staying on the top of your mouth thick!  So i decided to not boil it down so much-seemed to help a little.

My problem:
When i place the filling in the fridge it gets really hard like a ganche almost.  I need the cupcake frosting to hold the shape of a swirl but still be soft enough to be “creamy”.
How do i accomplish this?

The cake and cupcakes need to go in the Fridge overnight = for the cake is for 100 people with 50 cupcakes.  I cannot make the cake and deliver it in the same day of consumption.

Thanks!!

Posted: 28 August 2017 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-08-28

I was told that whipping ganche (instead of the frosting) should keep it soft?

Posted: 29 August 2017 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2017-01-05
Aunt Jackie - 28 August 2017 08:03 AM

Hello Everyone -
I am making an eggless German chocolate cake for a dear friend’s birthday party (40!).  The cake recipe I found is very good - when it is paired with the chocolate frosting and coconut.

Background
I am using the frosting as the cake filling and the top of cupcakes (swirl).  I am currently using 100% coca, milk and sugar.  Boil to a consistence and cool.  Originally when I made it, the frosting was very very thick - almost to thick for the cake - staying on the top of your mouth thick!  So i decided to not boil it down so much-seemed to help a little.

My problem:
When i place the filling in the fridge it gets really hard like a ganche almost.  I need the cupcake frosting to hold the shape of a swirl but still be soft enough to be “creamy”.
How do i accomplish this?

The cake and cupcakes need to go in the Fridge overnight = for the cake is for 100 people with 50 cupcakes.  I cannot make the cake and deliver it in the same day of consumption.

Thanks!!

1. Use the correct ingredients for ganache. Bittersweet or Semi-sweet chocolate and cream.  No milk.  No sugar. No unsweetened chocolate.

Use a good quality couverture sweetened chocolate and cream.  Nothing more.  No chocolate chips or candy melts.

You don’t add sugar to ganache. Melted sugar liquifies. When it cools it hardens. When you boil sugar, you make hard candy.

2. Use the correct temperature.  Never ever boil chocolate. And only heat the cream hot enough to melt the chocolate.

3. Select ratio of chocolate to cream based on application. There is no such thing as a generic ganache that can be used use in two or three very different applications. The ganache has to be made for the application.

- Whipped ganache to pipe: 2:1 chocolate to cream.

- Whipped ganache for filling: 1:1 chocolate to cream. This can also be use as a frosting if you want a thick creamy layer of ganache.

- Glaze, pourable: 1:2 chocolate to cream.

Whip the ganache after it’s cool. Then pipe,  fill cake, of frost outside of cake.

For glaze ganache, pour while it’s still a bit warm. Too warm and it will run off. To cool and it won’t pour. If it cools too much, just set the bowl over simmering water and stir until it’s a pour consistency.

How to make ganache:

Begin by chopping the chocolate very finely.

Heat the cream just hot enough to melt the chocolate. Chocolate melts at 115 degrees, so heat to 125 degrees. 

Pour the cream over they finely chopped chocolate and you let it sit for a few minutes. Then you stir it.

If you’re going to whip it, let it cool.

If cream cools before all the chocolate is melted, set the bowl of ganache over simmering water and stir the ganache until chocolate melts. Do not get any water in the ganache.

BTW: my Target sells Guittard wafers in both bittersweet and semi-sweet. Guittard Makes very good chocolate at a good price. It’s the brand Alice Medrich prefers for most applications.

Posted: 29 August 2017 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-08-28

Thank you so much for the advice!