converting crust recipes for 12.75 x 20.75 x 2.50 (steam table pan)
Posted: 03 September 2017 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2016-04-03

I am currently volunteering in a senior center and they have asked me to bake desserts for them in a steam table pan measuring
12.75” length x 20.75” width.  This measurement computes to 264.56 square inches.  How do I figure out the amount of cookie crumbs I will need to get a proper sized crust in this pan?  My first attempt will be to make a cheesecake. How best do I convert cheesecake ingredients to accommodate this pan.  Is there a formula I can use?  Thank you so much for your help.

Posted: 06 September 2017 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
pielady44 - 03 September 2017 08:31 PM

I am currently volunteering in a senior center and they have asked me to bake desserts for them in a steam table pan measuring
12.75” length x 20.75” width.  This measurement computes to 264.56 square inches.  How do I figure out the amount of cookie crumbs I will need to get a proper sized crust in this pan?  My first attempt will be to make a cheesecake. How best do I convert cheesecake ingredients to accommodate this pan.  Is there a formula I can use?  Thank you so much for your help.

PIELADY44:
    Good morning & welcome to our baking forum. I tried to post to you yesterday, just as I was finished I went to erase a misspelled word & the total composition disappeared from the screen. And so I will try again.

There are two ways I believe to do what you are asking for. One way is to determine the amount of sq in. of the pan you used for your recipe. Then divide the recipe size into the larger pan as an example 265, sq in divide by 130 sq in = 2X… sooo, then you double the ingredients in the recipe by 2X or double them.
............................................................................... OR ...................................................................................................

Employ the bakers percentage method, Which I think is the best way to do what you wish to do. Go to GOOGLE & enter

BAKERS PERCENTAGE various methods.  There are more than one explanation to teach this very easy computation.

Pielady,  I noticed that your large pan is 2.5, in. deep. I strongly believe that is too thick for cheesecake slices. I would consider 2, in. thick at the MAX.

In any event if you decide to go thru with this project…. list the pan size you have used as well as your recipe.

Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 07 September 2017 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-03

Good Morning Fresh Kid:  I’ve had the experience mentioned in paragraph 1 of your post many times—so frustrating. Thanks for hanging in there.

My day is just starting and this will be my first project for the day, figuring out ingredients and pan sizes I’ll be making tomorrow in the senior kitchen.  I will look at both methods and report back to you.  I sincerely thank you for the time and thought you put into responding to my post.  I hope you don’t mind being my hero today!  You have given me invaluable information that I can apply to future projects because the issue comes up all the time.  Thank you again and I’ll follow up with you in a day or two.  Pielady 44.

Posted: 08 September 2017 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2017-01-05
pielady44 - 03 September 2017 08:31 PM

Yes there is a formula.

But to scale properly your recipe needs to be in weight not volume measurements.

You need to calculate the area of both pans—not just the pan you want to use.

After you calculate the area of both pans, divide the size of the larger pan into the small pan.  The number will be the multiplier.

For example:

Say the original recipe calls for a pan 9” x 13”
9 x 13 = 117

The pan you want to use
12.75” x 20.75” = 264

Divide the larger size into the smaller size
264/117 = 2.26,

2.26 is your your multiplier. So multiply each ingredient by 2.26.

For example, say the original recipe calls for the following ingredients:
40 ounces cream cheese (1133 grams)
10.5 ounces sugar (672.7 grams)
6 eggs

US units:
40 x 2.26 = 90.4 ounces cream cheese
10.5 x 2.26 = 23.73 ounces sugar
6 x 2.26 = 13.56 eggs

Metric
1133 x 2.26 = 2560 grams (2.56 kilos) cream cheese
297.67 x 2.26 = 672.7 grams sugar
6 x 2.26 = 13.56 eggs

If either one or both pans are round you need to find the area of a circle.

For example if the original pan was 8” round, then find the area of an 8” circle:

To find the area of 8” round cake pan
1. Square the radius
2. Multiply the radius squared by pi
3. Pi = 3.14

8” radius is 4” - the radius is the distance from the center of the circle to the edge
Radius squared is 4 x 4 = 16
Radius squared x pi is 16 x 3.14 = 50.24

The areas of an 8” round pan = 50.24

Now you perform the same functions as above, divide the larger area into the smaller area.

264/50.24 = 5.27

5.27 is your multiplier.

Multiply each ingredient by 5.27

If the pans are of different depth, you need to calculate for the additional volume. Which is a whole post on it’s own.  It that’s the case, let me know and I will outline the steps.

Posted: 07 October 2017 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-03

Good Morning Norcalbaker 59:  This post is a belated thank you to you for your comprehensive response to my question regarding converting recipes.  I sincerely apologize for this late post, I am embarrassed to say I went another route because time simply didn’t allow for me to do it by your method.  I’m glad to have it now and will use it in the future, so thank you again for your time and interest in my problem. Please know it is sincerely appreciated.