Can Rose’s German chocolate cake n Green n Black chocolate cake be made into cupcakes..
Posted: 07 September 2017 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2010-08-01

Dear All,

Have a doubt regarding the oil based German Chocolate cake and the Green n Black butter n oil cake in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes..
Have made both with excellent results each time. Want to know if we can make cupcakes with both these recipes…do they turn out really well as cupcakes too?

Kindly revert, thanks so much.

Posted: 08 September 2017 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2017-01-05
Sharon Vinod - 07 September 2017 06:42 AM

Dear All,

Have a doubt regarding the oil based German Chocolate cake and the Green n Black butter n oil cake in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes..
Have made both with excellent results each time. Want to know if we can make cupcakes with both these recipes…do they turn out really well as cupcakes too?

Kindly revert, thanks so much.

I’ve made the German chocolate cake into cupcakes.  This recipe is a foam cake but it was modified for a lower liquid to flour ratio. That change allows the cake to be cooled upright, so it can be made into cupcakes.

This recipe makes 2- 9 inch cakes. So that will make up to 36 cupcakes depending on size of your tIn. I scaled the recipe to half and ended up with 16 cupcakes.

I do not remember the exact oven temperature I used, but I do believe I reduced it.

Begin checking for doneness at about 15 minutes. 

Personally, I didn’t like the texture of this cake.  It has a tight crumb. For cupcakes I prefer a fluffier crumb.  i’m gluten-free for medical reasons so I could not taste it. But the batch of cupcakes went to a party. Those at the party enjoyed them.

Posted: 09 September 2017 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thank you so much Norcalbaker for being so precise.

Yes, absolutely agree with you, cupcakes should have a fluffier texture and that the German Chocolate cake has a dense crumb.

Have you or anyone tried baking the Chocolate Layer cake in the RHC, as cupcakes..what are your thoughts if you have…

Posted: 10 September 2017 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-05
Sharon Vinod - 09 September 2017 10:32 AM

Thank you so much Norcalbaker for being so precise.

Yes, absolutely agree with you, cupcakes should have a fluffier texture and that the German Chocolate cake has a dense crumb.

Have you or anyone tried baking the Chocolate Layer cake in the RHC, as cupcakes..what are your thoughts if you have…

Are you referring to the chocolate layer cake on page 104? I’ve made that cake into cupcakes too. I iced half of them with vanilla Italian meringue buttercream, the other half in cream cheese frosting.

The batch of cupcakes went to my neighbor. He texted me later that evening to say the family love the cupcakes, especially his wife.

I didn’t think the small amount of oil made that much difference in the texture. If I were going to make that cake again I would simply use all butter. 

I would also bloom the cocoa powder in hot strong coffee.

Ive been developing some gluten free cakes over the past few months.  I recently baked a chocolate gluten free cake in which i bloomed the cocoa in hot strong coffee. It really does make a significant difference in the flavor.

Posted: 10 September 2017 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Yes Norcalbaker, was referring to the same cake on pg 104.

Thanks for mentioning that you’ve successfully baked them as cupcakes with good results.

If I I were to use all butter like in the Chocolate Butter cupcakes, wouldn’t it get a bit dry, considering that I will be keeping them in the fridge for two days..

I have a slightly big order and will be baking them in batches., and refrigerating them over a period of two days.

Woody had suggested replacing 35gms of butter for oil in the Chocolate butter cupcakes.

Posted: 10 September 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Woody mentioned to decrease the butter by 34 GMs and add 34 GMs Canola oil.

I mentioned 35 GMs previously,

Posted: 10 September 2017 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-05
Sharon Vinod - 10 September 2017 11:34 AM

Yes Norcalbaker, was referring to the same cake on pg 104.

Thanks for mentioning that you’ve successfully baked them as cupcakes with good results.

If I I were to use all butter like in the Chocolate Butter cupcakes, wouldn’t it get a bit dry, considering that I will be keeping them in the fridge for two days..

I have a slightly big order and will be baking them in batches., and refrigerating them over a period of two days.

Woody had suggested replacing 35gms of butter for oil in the Chocolate butter cupcakes.

Whenever I make a recipe for the first time I always try to follow the directions explicitly. But since I already tried the recipe, I know how I would change it.

I would increase the butter and eliminate the oil. The oil is only 20% of the fat (excluding the fat from eggs). At 20% I think oil can make a difference in the texture where there is no cocoa powder.  But I don’t think it really makes that much of a difference at 20% when you have so many hygroscopic ingredient in the mix.

There’s very little water in this recipe:

118 grams water to bloom the cocoa

44 grams water added to the batter

Natural water content in the eggs and butter

Sugar is very important in keeping a product moist. Sugar is hygroscopic, so it attracts water molecules not just from the batter, but from the air.

If you leave a piece of unwrapped hard candy on the counter overnight, the next morning it’s going to be sticky. That’s the hygroscopic properties at work. The sugar molecules attracted the water molecules in the air.  So eliminating what little oil is in the batter to begin with is not going to have that much of a dramatic effect on the moisture content of the cake as the sugar will draw water from the air.

But sugar is not the only hygroscopic ingredient in the batter. Cocoa powder and flour are also hygroscopic.  The cocoa powder has already sucked up 118 grams of the water.  So there’s very little water left in the batter for the three hygroscopic ingredients.

I would much rather increase the butter and have adequate fat and it’s additional water to distribute between these competing hygroscopic ingredients. 

If you decrease the butter, you change the ratio of water.  Oil does not contain any water, while butter contains about 18% natural water. So decreasing butter in fact decrease the amount of water. 

Water content is important not just for the moisture in the cake but it’s important to the rise and finished structure. At approximately 95° the butter will melt and begin to release its water. Approximately 140° the eggs are going to begin to coagulate.  So they will release their water. The starch in the flour begins gelatinization at 140° and continues until about 200°. Starch gelatinization is critical in setting the structure of the cake. It does not happen without adequate water and heat.  By the time the batter reaches 150° there’s a lot of evaporation and gelatinization going on. As evaporation occurs, the gases escape and give rise to the batter.  So adequate water is critical to good rise.

Storing cupcakes in the refrigerator is NOT advisable. Refrigerators are designed to dehumidify. They’re equipped with evaporators to pull moisture out of the refrigerator.  So the evaporator is going to cause dryness.

A cupcake can sit out at room temperature in an airtight container for two days.

Cupcakes freeze very well and they thaw very quickly. Freezing will not dry out the cupcake and cakes.  I routinely make cupcakes and cakes 4 - 5 days ahead of time and freeze. 

For cupcakes I cool completely, place in Ziploc freezer bags and freeze.

For cakes, I cool completely.  Double wrap in plastic wrap.  I like to place on a plate to provide support so the layers are not damaged.

Posted: 11 September 2017 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thank you so much for a detailed post, Norcalbaker.

Guess I will bake the Chocolate butter cupcakes only, as per the recipe, as there is no time to experiment now.

Thanks once again for the in depth explanation., really helps understand with clarity.