Sourdough Sunday
Posted: 03 June 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-19

Hi
I’m thinking about baking some sourdough at the weekend.
I’ve got a starter, given to me by a friend. I’ve had it for about a week and I’ve been feeding it everyday, so I think I’m ready to go…
I want to bake it with my son, he’s seven, and I’m just wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to make it an extra fun experience for him?

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

FD, sounds like such a nice project to do with your son!  I don’t have any experience with sourdough, so sorry, I’m no help there. 

I do have an eight year old daughter who bakes with me, my best advice on that count would be to allow him to take the lead where appropriate.  He can choose his own loaf shape and discover how much it changes as it rises.  He can solve problems with you (where do you think we should let it rise? How will we know it’s doubled?) and definitely expect him to make more of a mess than you do!  Have some of his favorite bread toppings on hand, or maybe even a new, special one, for the tasting.  If I know kids are going to bake with me, I try to get a good night’s sleep the night before so I’m at my most patient, tolerant, good-mommy best. 

“Sourdough Sunday”- sounds like it could be a regular feature!  The kind of thing kids grow up with and then do with their own kids years later.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 03 June 2009 03:26 PM

If I know kids are going to bake with me, I try to get a good night’s sleep the night before so I’m at my most patient, tolerant, good-mommy best.

I would say this is the most important step when baking / cooking with kids. I also repeat a thousand times in my head that this project is supposed to be fun. That keeps me sane.

My kids have their own aprons and chef hats too. Not sure if your son will be willing to wear one. Mine are girls so they love wearing them.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 June 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Most of the steps in bread baking require adult patience. smirk
My recommendation as a boy is…
Let him try to knead the bread. Wash his hands well and give him a nice sticky dough. When he gets bored you can add a little more flour and send him out to play.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 June 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-19

Hiya
Well, we gave it a go with the starter I had, and he was a bit dubious when he smelled it :/
We did a loaf each, and it was alot of fun, but, It seems he didn’t like the taste too much.
Does anyone else find that kids aren’t too fond of the tang of Sourdough?
Maybe he’ll grow into it…
I hope so anyway, cos I love it smile
So maybe Sourdough Sunday’s on the shelf for a while…

And yeah, I still do the cleaning, but I don’t mind smile

Posted: 10 June 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad to hear it all worked out!  Maybe next time he could use commercial yeast and you the sourdough starter?  Or, I’ve heard that Rose’s sourdough culture isn’t overly tart or sour, just adds flavor.  I haven’t done it but if you’re ambitious you could start your own culture according to the directions in the Bread Bible.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ Brioche yeast      Time for Baking? ››