Chocolate cake recommendation for contest
Posted: 04 October 2017 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-04-14

Hello fellow bakers,

I am looking for advice on a chocolate cake for a contest. I am making cherry ganache for topping & sides. I am thinking I should make a very dark, closer to bitter, chocolate cake so that the cherry ganache’s sweetness will contrast well. Maybe Devil’s Food Cake? If the chocolate cake is too sweet, I’m worried the whole cake will seem too sweet. I am also planning on including a whipped cream filling with cherries. Thoughts? I am familiar with Rose’s devil’s food cake, but that uses the midnight ganache (I think).

Thanks in advance,

krazed

Posted: 05 October 2017 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-01-05
krazed - 04 October 2017 06:17 PM

Hello fellow bakers,

I am looking for advice on a chocolate cake for a contest. I am making cherry ganache for topping & sides. I am thinking I should make a very dark, closer to bitter, chocolate cake so that the cherry ganache’s sweetness will contrast well. Maybe Devil’s Food Cake? If the chocolate cake is too sweet, I’m worried the whole cake will seem too sweet. I am also planning on including a whipped cream filling with cherries. Thoughts? I am familiar with Rose’s devil’s food cake, but that uses the midnight ganache (I think).

Thanks in advance,

krazed

1. If it’s an annual cake competition, look up past winners. And if it’s available, find out who the judges are and look at their work.  Their work will give you an idea of what they like in a cake.

2. Design and bake a cake uniquely your own. Baking a recipe out of someone else’s cookbook won’t cut it.  It’s not just how the cake tastes, but what did you do to make the cake unique.  Chocolate cake is chocolate cake.  There’s a million of them.  You have to make your cake stand out by creating different flavor combinations. A million chocolate and cherry cakes have already been baked.  Mundane never wins.  Pair unique flavor combinations. Judges don’t want to see cake flavor combinations your grandmother baked.

3. Aesthetics are everything.  Combine a couple of techniques to create your own aesthetics. 

Posted: 05 October 2017 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-04-14

What a marvelous response! Thank you. I glossed over details of the competition because it’s just a work event combining the contest and selling baked goods for a good cause. That said, I am taking it seriously and want to win! Good goal for me to do some serious baking. I’ve never entered a baking contest. Just a sometime home baker. I have five weeks and will bake a few generic types of chocolate cakes. Was hoping for a bread crumb from you serious, experienced bakers!