Tunnel of Love, German chocolate cake
Posted: 20 October 2017 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-09-10

My husband loves the German Chocolate cake recipe in Heavenly Cakes. What he really likes, is the frosting. That cake takes a long time; mix and bake the cakes, make the coconut frosting, make the ganache, stack and frost the cake…we are a 2 person family. I am not a huge fan of this cake, so I seldom eat any.  I have made a half recipe with good success. What I’d really like to do is give him that cake or a similar chocolate one and bake it in a tube pan. I have lots of tube pans in various sizes. I could make one and freeze one.

Question: Can I put that coconut caramel frosting right in the cake? Like, put in some cake batter, frosting, and cake batter on top. Would it get too melty? Or, should I just give my husband the frosting bowl and skip the cake part.LOL

Signature 

Mona

Posted: 21 October 2017 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-01-05
bangalore baker - 20 October 2017 06:54 PM

My husband loves the German Chocolate cake recipe in Heavenly Cakes. What he really likes, is the frosting. That cake takes a long time; mix and bake the cakes, make the coconut frosting, make the ganache, stack and frost the cake…we are a 2 person family. I am not a huge fan of this cake, so I seldom eat any.  I have made a half recipe with good success. What I’d really like to do is give him that cake or a similar chocolate one and bake it in a tube pan. I have lots of tube pans in various sizes. I could make one and freeze one.

Question: Can I put that coconut caramel frosting right in the cake? Like, put in some cake batter, frosting, and cake batter on top. Would it get too melty? Or, should I just give my husband the frosting bowl and skip the cake part.LOL

Tube pan: baking in a tube pan should be fine. The recipe is scaled for two 9” round cakes pans, which is the same scale for a 10” tube pan.

Adding frosting to batter: this is problematic for a couple of reasons. 

- Both the batter and frosting contains eggs. 

- Eggs contain about 74% water. 

- Frosting contains butter, which is about 17% water. 

- The batter contains water.

Once the batter reaches 150° all water based ingredients will generate steam. 

The cake is based on a chiffon recipe. Fifty percent of the flour is cake flour, which is a very weak flour.  Chiffon cakes also have a high hydration to flour ratio which makes then vulnerable to collapse.  Adding a frosting that contains a lot of water could undermine the already fragile gluten structure.

The batter also contains twice the amount of sugar to flour by weight.  Where flour strengthens, sugar tenderizes, so sugar weakens the gluten network.  Too much sugar will cause a cake to collapse. 

Sweetened condensed milk contains a high percentage of sugar.  In fact there’s so much sugar in it that you can fully submerge an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of boiling water and leave it to boil for 2-3 of hours. The condensed milk will actually turn to caramel. 

So the additional sugar and water in the frosting could cause the cake to collapse.

Posted: 21 October 2017 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-09-10

That’s what I was afraid of. Hmm. I bet I could put all the dry ingredients in the cake: pecans, coconut etc. and make the rest of the frosting according to the recipe and drizzle it over the bundt cake. Hmm I like that!

Signature 

Mona

Posted: 26 October 2017 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-10-26

Yes you can put coconut caramel frosting right in the cake.

Regards
Mayaank

Signature 

Cake delivery in Bangalore | Cake delivery in Mumbai