Sourdough
Posted: 22 December 2007 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-11-17

I have been told that some commercial bakers use vinegar instead of sourdough starter for their sourdough breads. Do you know if this is true? Would the addition of a bit of vinegar to my dough make it a little more sour. Is it safe?
Harold

Posted: 23 December 2007 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

Freshkid,
Thank you very much; you have saved me from disaster.
Harold

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

Thank you. I thought that I had seen the addition of vinegar in the BB, but I forgot where. I will experiment with one tablespoon in my next sour rye, in the mixing of the dough.

Posted: 31 December 2007 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

FRESHKID
  Pleasse clear me up on a couple of points in your last missle:

What do you mean by “yeasted lean bread dough recipes”? Do you mean that you always add vinegar to all your yeast dough bread recipes?
In “sourdough” recipes I always add a little yeast to quicken up the rising time, as MS Rose describes in the BB. 

Also, have you ever made sourdough DILL rye bread? No caraway. I was told it was very good, however I have had two opinions from others: Do you use dill dried leaves or dill seed? Another experiment for me!

Regards,
Harold

Posted: 31 December 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

HI FRESHKID,
By NO CARAWAY I meant dill instead of caraway. I dont think I would like both in the same bread. Also, why not add the dill seed instead of caraway in the sourdough rye?
I will checkk out my BB for the other ingredients you mention.

Thanks again
Harold

‹‹ Brioche Help      Over-risen brioche ››