flowers on cupcakes
Posted: 06 June 2009 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-06-06

I want to put a small gold button mum (fresh flower) on top of a cupcake for my wedding. Does anyone know the best way to do this?  I read the mums are toxic so I am a little nervous to do this—- but it is exactly the look I want.. The flower is so little it seem like it really wouldn’t be a problem Thanks for any suggestions…

Posted: 06 June 2009 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Sr. Member
Total Posts:  2613
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Bride2be - if your flowers are toxic, I’d stay away from using fresh.  Have you looked into silk?  They are very realistic looking these days!!!!  If you must use fresh, you can place a straw into the cupcake and place the flower stem into the straw (leave the straw a little taller than the cupcake so it can easily be removed before eating - it should also keep the mum from touching the buttercream on your cupcake). 

I hope that helps!


Come visit me at


Posted: 24 July 2009 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Sr. Member
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2009-07-24

As a former professional chef, I have to reply to bride2be, even though I realize this is late and perhaps the wedding has already occured.

A culinary rule: NEVER put anything on food that is not edible. Even if only one person tries to eat it and becomes sick, or worse, you will have ruined your event for them, if not for you.

From TCB, page 428:

“Fresh flowers make beautiful and even flavorful additions to cakes but great care must be taken to ensure that they are not a poisonous variety. Some edible flowers are apple blossoms, borage flowers, cimbidiums, citrus blossoms (orange and lemon), day lilies (not tiger lilies, which have spots), English daisies, hibiscus, hollyhocks, lilacs, pansies, petunias, nasturiums, roses, tulips, and violets. Non-edible flowers such as lilies of the valley are fine to use as part of an arrangement or corsage for the top of the cake which will be lifted off before serving.”

With so many edible flowers from which to choose, there is no excuse to use a poisonous flower. I would add that care must also be taken that the flowers are not sprayed with pesticides and herbicides. We don’t want to poison the unwitting wedding guest.


Please visit me at for recipes and photos

  Back to top