Time for Baking?
Posted: 08 June 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-08

I love to bake.  I live in Colorado, so baking bread can be a challenge.  I got the Bread Bible on Saturday and started yesterday with the White Sandwich Bread Recipe.  It took me almost 12 hours for that recipe!  Did I do something wrong?  I let the starter sit for 4 hours before putting on the “flour blanket”, then I let that sit for 4 more hours.  Then I mixed it, let it raise for 2 hours, took it out, put it back in for another 2 hours, and then let it raise in the pans for 2 more hours in my oven (in the warming drawer) and cooked it for 50 minutes.  I work two jobs (60-70 hours a week).  Is there an easier way to get the same results?

Posted: 08 June 2009 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-08

So I can put the dough in the pan…then put it in the fridge over night…then take it out and bake it in the morning?  Does it rise while it is in the fridge over night?  Sorry, I’m new at this.  I was trying to follow the directions very carefully to make sure it would rise properly.  If I can cut down on the amount of time, that would be awesome.

Posted: 09 June 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-08

Thank you Annie!  I was a little discouraged yesterday to say the least.  When I went down to bake it the loaves hadn’t risen at all in the pans…that’s when I remembered I had a “bread proofer” in my warming drawer and stuck them in there for two hours.  So instead of letting everything sit out for two hours at a time, I can put it in my refrigerator, and get back to it the next day?  That sounds better.  Except for proofing the dough before baking, that has to go in my warming drawer for two hours, then I can bake it for 50 minutes.  But that’s only 3 hours…much better than 12! 

P.S.  I just got the Pie and Pastry Bible in the mail yesterday.  You are probably going to be seeing a lot of me on these blogs…

Terri

Posted: 09 June 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-08

Freshkid- I live in the city of Denver.  I hardly ever make changes for high altitude…isn’t that only over 5,000 feet?  If I am making brownies or a cake from a box (don’t tell anyone) and it tells me to add 1/4 cup of flour to dry mix, I do that, but otherwise, I don’t really take that into consideration.  The bread did raise (after I put it in my warming drawer for the last rise), so I didn’t have any problems there.  It was the length of time it took to get it there.  But I understand what I did wrong.  Thanks for your advice.  You will see me on here quite often…I plan to forge ahead and continue the journey!

‹‹ Sourdough Sunday      Kids Home Baking Kit? ››