Fruit Essences
Posted: 10 June 2009 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-10

Hi there

I am new to this forum and relatively new to Rose’s genius books.  I’m delighted with the perfect results that I have achieved from the cake recipes that I have tried so far… not had as much luck with the pastry yet, but need to persevere.

I had a question that I hope some of you may be able to help me with.  I live in the UK (but am an Aussie by birth), and I am keen to acquire a collection of Fruit Essences for buttercream use in particular.  I can’t seem to find any in the UK and have considered having them posted to me by La Cuisine, but the postage will make this quite expensive.  I wondered if anyone knows the brand for these essences, so that I can have a final try at sourcing them locally?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-10

Hi Freshkid - thank you very much for your response.  You are correct - the essences that I refer to are similar to extracts I believe.  Rose recommends using them in one of her passionfruit recipes (either curd or buttercream - apologies I don’t have my Cake Bible to hand).  Rose lists La Cuisine as a stockist and I have looked at their website and found that they stock an amazing variety of fruit flavoured essences: 

http://lacuisineus.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=f3d20402d61bbd6d90c2057e5589b250&keywords=essence&osCsid=f3d20402d61bbd6d90c2057e5589b250

I’d love to know the brands of manufacturers of these essences to see whether I can find a local supplier in the UK as the shipping from La Cuisine will make them an expensive buy.

Thanks again for your response.

MelB

Posted: 11 June 2009 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-10

Thank you all for your help!  I have contacted La Cuisine and am seeing whether they can ship to me when I am in the US for work next week - they are going to do their best!  A trip to the US is a great opportunity to source equipment etc that is difficult to find in the UK.  I’m very keen to try fruit essences with some cupcake icings that I have in mind.  And also in Rose’s pasisonfruit curd.  I’ll let you know how I get along.  Thanks again.

Posted: 21 August 2009 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2008-02-28

To all who have used the La Cuisine fruit essences… I am preparing to purchase these but want to know how much you use for each batch of Mousseline - is it just a drop per batch?  What if it’s a non-fruit Mousseline e.g. pistachio - again would that just be a drop?

thanks so much

Posted: 23 August 2009 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2008-02-28

Thanks everyone.  I have FINALLY ordered a variety of flavours - have waited sooo long because the shipping cost is horrific.  But last weekend I made a cake with the Strawberry Mousseline and I have to say, the mousseline was aboslutely divine.  I could just sit and eat the stuff (if it weren’t so fattening).  Got to thinking how much better it would be with the Wild Strawberry flavouring.  I am now obsessed with making a fantastic strawberry buttercream and can’t wait for the essences to arrive!

Posted: 15 January 2015 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-01-15

New question on the same topic:

I just received Lemon Essence and Orange Essence in the mail from La Cuisine.  The Lemon Essence is transparent yellow (like a lemon oil), but surprisingly the Orange Essence is opaque, thicker looking, and a dull brownish color.  I might expect this of a nut essence, but not citrus - especially when compared against the lemon.  Is this anyone else’s experience?  Also, should I store these in the refrigerator? Thanks all!

Image Attachments
LemonOrange.jpg