1 of 2
Genoise and cupcakes
Posted: 14 June 2009 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Well…yesterday was my Mom’s Birthday party.  Since she loves all things citrus, I decided to make a genoise, with lemoncello in the syrup, split and filled with lemon curd, and iced with Lemon Mousseline buttercream.  All of these recipes are Rose’s and in the cake bible…and this cake is always a big hit!  Since my sister’s kids are small, and not too adventursome, this cake didn’t go over too big.  The older boy wouldn’t even taste it…imagine, not wanting to taste cake!  The younger took a slice, looked at it, asked “What’s that stuff in the middle?” made a face, and licked some buttercream off with his finger.  In anticipation of this, I continued on my quest for the perfect cupcake.  I’ve been tinkering with yellow cake recipies, trying to get one that looks good, has good texture, and tastes delicious…so far in my hands…no good.  These looked good, tasted good, but had a coarse texture and fell slightly in the middle (according to Rose in the cake bible, this means there was too much baking powder..so…back to the drawing board. )  (I’m not exactly sure about the texture and flavor, because my sister (the hostess of the party and mother of the two fussy boys) against my instructions, put the cupcakes in the refrigerator because…and I quote…“I like the icing hard”  (Little sisters!).  The cupcake is made with my own yellow cupcake recipe which I have been working on, and the frosting is the chocolate buttercream that I found in cooks Illustrated. Anyway…here are pics of the Birthday cake and the cupcake.  I scaled down the genoise recipe to fit an 8” pan rather than 9”.  We were only 7 people and I only had 10 inch cake boxes.  If you put a 9” genoise (which doesn’t shrink much ) with buttercream in a 10” box, there is always some damage to the piping and the 8” cake was more than enough.

Image Attachments
Grandma's Genoise 3.jpgGrandma's Genoise 2.jpgKid's Cupcake.jpgGrandma's Genoise.jpg

Posted: 14 June 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4737
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill, your genoise sounds absolutely wonderful!  Genoise is my favorite cake, and the lemon curd mousseline is wonderful, too.  Love the basketweave sides, your piping is always so beautiful.  Did Grandma Roni love it?

Sorry the little ones weren’t too adventurous.  Whatever small issues your cupcakes are still having, they look wonderful.  How did the frosting compare to “Bill’s Chocolate Buttercream”?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 14 June 2009 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

I think your cakes look beautiful, Bill, I would have been thrilled to bits if someone had taken the trouble to make me a cake, any cake, but one as nice as this!  However, I have to make my own, and even I can’t do as well as you!

Posted: 14 June 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Actually…it’s Grandma Roni (short for Ronda).  That is “Bill’s Chocolate Buttercream!  LOL) She Loved it…but she refused to take the leftovers home (She has to keep her figure at 71!).... And Thanks for the compliments!

Posted: 14 June 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I make my own birthday cake every year…I understand!

Posted: 14 June 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Wow!  Your cake & cupcake looks great.  Love the piping.  Which genoise did you make?

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 June 2009 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Genoise classique.  Worked perfectly. I’ve done it a few times and really love it.

Posted: 14 June 2009 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cake sounds wonderful Bill (even though I’m a chocoholic smile ) Was it the Foolproof Chocolate Buttercream from CI?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 June 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

seriously….your piping is amazing.

Bill, question about that buttercream frosting. I got the recipe to make flowers and my flowers came out not as smooth as I like…meaning the end the of the peals were ragged. Do yours come out smooth when you use that particular recipe???

Posted: 14 June 2009 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Nope…got the recipe from gourmet magazine.  It is essentially Rose’s mousseline with 30 g of cocoa powder and 8 oz of semisweet chocolate.  Love it love it love it.

Posted: 14 June 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

No i mean the one you PM’d me about…

Posted: 14 June 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Yummy!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 14 June 2009 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-15

Beautiful cake! Enjoyed Bill’s story as usual smile

Posted: 14 June 2009 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Beautiful cake Bill! And sounds yummy! Your penmanship (and piping) is amazing.

Posted: 15 June 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

BILL:
  Good afternoon Bill. I cannot taste you cake from here…. but I have enjoyed viewing your decorating skills. You should be proud of yourself.
  Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 15 June 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Fantastic as usual Bill!!!  I see no cupcake wrapper separation.  Happy Birthday to Grandma Roni - are you sure she isn’t a teeny bit Italian? smile

Oh yeah, I have a few in the family who like cold buttercream too - weird!
I love “Bill’s Chocolate Buttercream” - soooooooo good!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

1 of 2

‹‹ Maple Walnut      Spring Cookies ››