Over-risen brioche
Posted: 24 December 2007 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-23

I’ve got a batch of brioche dough going, headed towards making the Chocolate Sticky Buns from The Bread Bible for Christmas morning.  But there’s a little problem—toward the end of the first rise, when the dough should have been moved to the refrigerator to firm up, I got called away from the house and forgot the dough. It stayed at warm room temps for another 3 hours or so, and rose to well over triple volume.

I’m now pondering if I should start over in the morning, losing the flavor gains by the overnight sponge and rise.  I haven’t turned up much information about exactly what happens to over-risen dough—I see a comment by Rose that the gluten strength is impaired by this and so a loaf might might fall during baking.  However, these are sticky buns, which (it seems to me) might not have as much of a problem as a single loaf.  My current plan is to go ahead and try to work with this dough, but if anyone has any experience with a situation like this and can offer advice, I’d appreciate it.

‹‹ Sourdough      Stiff starter/moist challah ››