1 of 2
Question about Brioche Dough…
Posted: 18 June 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

so I decided I want to try to make this dough but I got stuck after the first paragraph.  I don’t have a food processor and it says to use one for this recipe. can you do it with out a processor???

Posted: 18 June 2009 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Ski, I think you can do it in the KA. In Rose’s Bread Primer on epicurious.com, she gives instructions for using the mixer to make brioche dough, and the recipe’s there too.

The first time I made it (for the bread bake-off) I used the FP, but there must be a design flaw in the FP somewhere because some of the dough oozed out and got inside the machine (the part where the bowl connects to the bottom) and I had to spend a lot of time digging everything out. The second time I made the dough, I tried using my hand mixer but the dough kept ‘climbing’ up the dough hook so I ended up using a wooden spoon and TONS of elbow grease - gives you a real arm workout! But it still works though.

Oh..and the sticky buns are killer!!!

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ski, In the Bread Bible Rose uses the Kitchen Aid in the recipe - 1 minute on #2 and then approx 7 minutes on #4.

Annie

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, Brioche definitely works with a stand mixer, I’ve done it many times.  Which version are you making?  Rose has it in all her Bibles, but the epicurious one is from the Bread Bible and uses instant yeast, which is the easiest, because you don’t have to proof the yeast and because it’s a little harder to kill. 

Let’s see, a few pointers:
- if your schedule allows, make the sponge/blanket the night before you mix/knead the dough, let it sit at room temp for half an hour, then pop it in the fridge overnight.  This gives great flavor.
- pay careful attention to ingredient temperatures, ie. cold eggs and very soft butter.
- I always test for doneness with a quick read thermometer, for some reason I never feel sure about brioche, maybe it’s just me…

Good Luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I resorted to Madeleine Kaman ‘The New Making of a Cook’. She offers the following advice.
“Brioche should be handmade for the joy of the way it feels… and it is important to learn how to develop just enough gluten…”
Her instruction are extensive but the technique doesn’t require any equipment other than fingertips. grin

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 June 2009 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I have made it three different ways—- first time, from Richard Bertinet’s recipe using fresh yeast and working entirely by hand, so good I made it twice more like this.  Second time I did it from a recipe given with my Panasonic breadmaker, again very good and much easier and quicker!!!  the last time I did it was for the bread bake-off on here, following Rose’s recipe in the Bread Bible, couldn’t fault it, pictures on the site to show how good it was.  I do like doing it by hand, even though it takes more trouble and time, it is so therapeutic kneading the dough! smile

Posted: 19 June 2009 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I want to make the sticky buns, so thats why I asked these questions. So I guess my options are to use my KA, or do it by hand. I am definately not a bread person…in fact I don’t think i’ve ever made bread so this is all extremely new to me! I want to get Roses Bread Bible though, but I don’t have time to get it before I make these sticky buns.

Ok so i looked at the recipe on epicurious.com….a few questions..
1) In the cake bible, it says to use bread flour…in this recipe it says all purpose flour…which one??
2) I assume step 7 is where i would roll the dough out and follow directions in the sticky bun recipe, right?

Posted: 19 June 2009 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

oh yeah, and do you guys recommend adding the extra butter for the dough when making sticky buns? Or just stick to original recipe??

ANd does the recipe for sticky buns call for makings the small brioche??

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Sticky buns won’t need any extra butter—they are already sinfully rich!  It is unbleached all-purpose.  I would use that if you want a more tender, softer brioche—otherwise, you can use bread flour.  Yes, you start after the dough has refrigerated for several hours in step 6. Btw, just be prepared that this is an extremely sticky dough until it chills, and even then it is tacky.

Posted: 19 June 2009 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok wish me luck

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I can’t speak to other recipes, but Rose’s brioche is very sticky to be kneading by hand, you’ll be tempted to add too much flour, especially if you are a bread novice.

I use the additional/optional butter as buerre noisette, and throw in any extra browned bits I have lurking in the freezer.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

yes, the optional clarified butter is wonderful, but I have only used that for plain brioche—haven’t ever tried it in sticky buns.  Is it noticeable?  I figured the other flavors might cover the subtle difference. I do make Rose’s brioche by hand, but it is a challenge—I agree, not something to try for your first bread experience.

Posted: 19 June 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Im stickin (no pun intended) with the KA mixer!

Posted: 20 June 2009 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Matthew, I would like to try making brioche by hand, is there a kneading technique I should consider for the sticky dough?  What signs do you look for to know that the dough has been kneaded enough?

As for the browned butter, I probably put it in because I like it so much and it makes me happy to have that smell in my kitchen.  But you’re right (as usual!), it probably wouldn’t come through in something with as much flavor as the sticky buns.  I make a lot of things with brioche, but most often I make savarin with orange zest, extra browned bits, and a not-too-strong gold rum syrup.

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

so dough is done…i had a few problems.
1) The flour mixture didn’t bubble at all after putting sprinkling it on the 1st mixture (it said in the book its supposed to)
2) I had a hard time fully incorporating the butter. I put 1 TB in at a time, and it said to wait until the butter is fully incorporated before i add another TB. The dough hook took a long time to mix the butter in, and I had to stop and kind of push the butter more towards the center quite a few times (and yes it was VERY soft, but NOT melted)
Any ideas?

Posted: 20 June 2009 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, hard to tell at this interim point, but you may not have had problems.  The sponge generally bubbles/rises a bit underneath its flour blanket, sometimes the sponge dough breaks through the blanket in places, other times not.  It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is wrong if it doesn’t.  You started it at room temp, then let it finish in the fridge, right? 

As for incorporating the butter, it can take some time to accomplish.  The last time I made brioche (for chocolate sticky buns), it took longer than usual, which I attributed to the butter not being soft enough.  I try to aim for the middle when putting the butter in, and sometimes my spoonfuls are a little larger than one tablespoon, especially in the begining.  I’ve also stopped and pushed the butter into the dough from time to time. 

Did the dough rise nicely after beating in the butter?  Be sure to chill it before punching it down so the butter doesn’t leak out.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Time for Baking?      Kids Home Baking Kit? ››