1 of 3
Father’s Day Bake Off!
Posted: 19 June 2009 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I know I am early, but as I explained previously , we are off on holiday on Sunday so I baked my cake today.  Tomorrow I will be too busy packing so I am putting my pictures on now .  Although I would have liked to have made the Chocolate cake I decided on the Spice cake because I had some Peanut Butter to use up.  However it wasn’t until I took the jar from the cupboard that I realized it was the crunchy sort!  I used it anyway and it seems to have worked without spoiling the cake.  As Breadbasket says in her blog , it is an easy cake to make, the only thing I forgot to do was to use my home-made cake strips, because I am not in the habit of using them!  Melinda had instructed me how to make them and they do work well, but the cake didn’t seem to suffer from not using them.  The frosting is quite rich for my taste, but all who have sampled it have been very complimentary.    tongue rolleye

Image Attachments
phpWcu0HmPM.jpgphpGFK5LpPM.jpg

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Looks great!

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cake looks delicious Jeannette! The texutre looks great. Have a safe and fun vacation!  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks delicious, Jeanette!  Have a great holiday.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 19 June 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

jeannette, looks great!  good texture!  i would very much like to try adding peanut butter on mousseline.  perhaps you can make your own peanut butter by running toasted unsalted unsweetened peanuts on your meat grinder and/or food processor.  this could be a less rich less sweet option.

i have done my father’s day bake off early too =)  by convenience i would say, you know i can’t keep my mouth zipped so:

last week I made one of Rose’s new cake (can’t disclose) which took MANY hours and was 17 lbs.  we will post about it later when the book comes closer.  i honored Rose with a version I call the ultimate Hawaiian Trilogy:  chocolate, vanilla, and mac nut.  it really is a cake one can’t buy and perhaps i will never be able to make again unless a customer is willing to pay $10 per vanilla bean (needs 94 beans) and $40 per pound of Hawaiian chocolate (needs 6 pounds, i would think people would pay for this though).

here some assorted pictures that look fatherly (sorry going a little off topic, these are not all new recipes):  a cake i arranged with succulents which makes me think it is very father’s day, a picture of grapa at night, a 12 inch hawaiian ganache cake, and some frozen cake slices warming up on my sunroof as I drove 10 miles for a quick dinner and needed to bring cake.

Image Attachments
IMAGE_201.jpgIMG00110.jpgPICT4835.jpgPICT4856.jpg
 Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 June 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Hector, so nice to have you join us!

What are the components of the white two-tiered cake?  It’s lovely, reminds me of an elegant groom’s cake.  And what cake did you pair the Hawaiian ganache with?

I love the sound of the choc-vanilla-mac nut cake, can’t wait to see your post.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 20 June 2009 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I know I’m a day early, but I made the Black Chocolate Party Cake for some clients.  I made 6 mini bundts and baked for 40 mins.  With the remaining batter I made mini-canelles and baked for 20 mins.

Edited later: I still seem to be having issues attaching pictures if they are greater than 90K.  I had added that the cake was delicious and moist.  As I didn’t have walnuts, I used pecans - truly delicious.  As the mini bundts have a capacity of one cup each I made canelles (they are like very tiny bundts but a bit taller - no more than two bites per piece) and actually submerged them in the syrup.  I made 1.5 times the recipe of syrup.  Oh my, they were super moist.

In each of the boxes I put 2 bundts and 4 canelles on a silver board.

Jeannette, your cake looks scrumptious.  Have a great holiday.  Hector, love the big choc cake - wow!

Annie

Image Attachments
NewChoc1.jpgNewChoc2.jpg

Posted: 20 June 2009 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Annie the mini bundts look amazing! So chocolatey! Love the boxes with the ribbons. Lovely presentation.

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2009 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIE/MAC/D:
  Annie my learned friend, You did a fine job on that recipe. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~CASPAR.

Posted: 20 June 2009 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

OOOHH, Annie ,I love the look of those mini bundts!  I have seen the moulds in TKMaxx and have been tempted to buy them but I already have TOO many tins.  Yours look lovely.  How was the taste?

Posted: 20 June 2009 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM

Posted: 20 June 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

beautiful as usual! jeanette i love the effect of the bits of peanut in the frosting! hector the tiered white cake is a work of art. annie, never has the choc. party cake looked better! oh i do hope the anticipated (not eagerly however) thunder storm tonight won’t knock out power again so i’ll be able to enjoy the rest of the bakeoff. my dad will get his beloved cherry pie when he comes for his birthday in july.

jeanette—have a wonderful trip. i haven’t been to turkey for many many years but i loved the mere two days spent there on the way to somewhere else. i didn’t want to leave. the food was fabulous.

Posted: 20 June 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Here’s what I baked for Father’s Day. I didn’t do a very good job with the syrup because I drizzled it as opposed to brushing it. The taste is to die for! Yes we tasted it already b/c I made two of these sinfully delicious cakes smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2009 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

what is the above cake???

Posted: 20 June 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Yum - the chocolate cakes and the spice cake and the vanilla, mac, and chocolate cake all look delicious!! My Black Chocolate Party Cake is in the oven now - I can’t wait to see what the ground walnuts add to the flavor of a chocolate cake. I love walnuts and chocolate together.

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 20 June 2009 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Your spice cake looks fantastic Jeannette!  Loved the way you frosted it.  Have a wonderful holiday!

Wow Hector!  How do you get the frosting so smooth and even. Very nice!

Annie, I love the mini bundts!  What a great idea.

Rozanne, you were very wise to make two of these.  It is sinfully delicious.  Drizzling the syrup gave it a nice look.  Gorgeous.

Since many of us were planning to make the Chocolate Party Cake, I decided to do something different with it. I have never made a cake roll or a roulande so I decided to try it with this cake.  I filled it with the German Chocolate filling.  The Cake and filling are fantastic!  The picture of the slice below was taken right after I syruped it.  Happy Father’s Day! grin

Image Attachments
german roll-blog.jpggroup slice-blog.jpggerman slice-blog.jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

1 of 3

‹‹ Baby Shower Cake      New to cake decorating! ››