2 of 3
Father’s Day Bake Off!
Posted: 20 June 2009 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Rozanne,  Your cake looks gorgeous.  I bet the syrup penetrated further into the cake by drizzling.  This is a lovely syrup - did you add the Kahula?

Thanks, Rozanne, Jeannette, Caspar, Ski and Rose.  This was another fun bake-off and makes me even more impatient to get the book.  Can’t wait for tomorrow to see the rest!

Annie

Posted: 20 June 2009 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie MacD, great minds must think alike!  I baked a 60% recipe of the Black Chocolate Party Cake in a 6-cup mini-bundt, and included the Kahlua in the syrup.  The flavor of the Kahlua and the walnuts is subtle, enhancing the chocolate rather than being prominent.  Wonderful cake, I liked it a lot.  I made nine little cakes to give away and am keeping three for the family.  I did have trouble with bubbles on the surface of the cake (bottom of the pan) with the first batch, so I tried to press the batter into the crevices on the second batch, but if anything it seemed to be worse second time around. 

Rozanne, your full size version looks great- after I tasted this cake I wished I had made more!

Tammy, what a great idea to roll this with Rose’s german chocolate filling!  I bet those tasted wonderful together.

Ski, this bake off includes recipes from Rose’s new book, the chocolate one comes from the blad, you can search over on the blog for blad and it’ll come up.

Image Attachments
black chocolate party cake2.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 June 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

All of these cakes look so good!  I really HAVE to get some mini bundt moulds now! cool smile

Posted: 21 June 2009 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hector - that succulent cake is right up my alley!!!  It’s gorgeous!!!! 
Rozanne - save me a slice.
Tammy - looks super decadent.
AnnieMac - adorable minis.  Great idea.
Jeannette - thanks for the heads up… I’ll be making this cake tonight. I’ll have to make sure I grab the right peanut butter.
Julie - so cute… I love those flower shapes.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 June 2009 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

OMG, I never knew all the blog action was here!....  It is 11:30 pm and waking up due to strong winds…  Thought I would have a 9 pm long night of sleep but will get up and turn on my computer and watch all you wonderful father day’s bakes!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 21 June 2009 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

do you mind if i don’t call you by first names, but by cake instead?  sorry, names are very hard for me, no offense please.

love the chocolate party cake, my friend natalie is suppose to have made one…... hope she is still alive from the cocoa shock as i haven’t heard from her yet.

the mini bundts are LOVELLY, what pans did you use?  silicone or aluminum?  love the full size too and that uneven syruping makes it look interesting and possibly fun to eat.  the log is up my alley.  and the mini rose and flowers bundts, too.

my two tier white cake is a green tea genoise filled with coconut fruit cloud and frosted with whipped cream.  it is a cake made by saturacakes.com, i was then the delivery boy and part of my job is to arrange the fresh flowers provided by the florist.  the funny story of this cake is that i was training my delivery person replacement, we were stuck in traffic for 3 hours, so i guess he must had learned well from me!  we had no idea what flowers were going to be, and succulents that is, fresh aloe, haworthia, crassulas, echeverrias, sedum, etc (yes, I used to belong to the cactus and succulent club).  the succulents were prepared a few days ahead so the cuts won’t bleed and also wrapped in florist tape.  it really was challenging to explain how to place ‘these types of flowers’ on the cake.  wedding venue was at waimea falls valley, lovely kitchen staff which is not always the case for many other wedding venues.  yesterday i delivered a 5 tier wedding cake to the turtle bay hilton, i did all the piping and placing of the 300 or so sakura fondant flowers, loved it, only to be received by a retentive wedding coordinator who only concentrated on the negatives!  little that she knows that i only need to lift an arm and start telling people to never hire her (she didn’t look that it was suppose to be a happy day and celebration indeed!!!).

the 12” chocolate cake is frosted with chocolate ganache made with my wonderful hawaiian chocolate, 60% dark chocolate, you all really need to call or email Bob and Pam Cooper at http://www.ohcf.us and tell them you spoke with me!  i’ve just reported to them about my true feelings, and they agreed:  their chocolate IS chocolate and thus tastes like chocolate and not like something else most other chocolate manufacturers add to their chocolate.  It can’t get any more down to earth than this.  this is on a chocolate chiffon cake (green and blacks cocoa, http://www.oilsofaloha.com mac nut oil)

practice makes perfect so ALL my cakes are smooth like this one =)  i would say, love your turn table, never go anywhere without it and never lend it to anyone!  but really, this is how i do it: I refrigerate my cakes overnight (hello?  can you imagine leaving it at room temp at my 80 degree weather?)  for most of you, leaving the cake to cool at room temp overnight is like 65 which makes a day/night difference on the sturdiness specially on butter or chocolate cakes, it would be unnecessary to refrigerate like i do.  So, these chilled layers work wonderful as you frost, but you must be quick.  The frosting gets hard almost immediately upon touching the cake, use this to your full advantage as a self made crumb coat, so first apply a thin/scrapping coat, then apply the rest an voila.  This is reverse thinking of the technique of chilling the cake several times as you smooth the coats of frosting.  and YES, i do the final smoothing with a heated spatula, but i don’t use hot water, but instead my blow torch -)

also, and this is what most people will disagree.  i have not trained myself to use a bench scrapper as it DOES make perfect smooth, but i feel i would loose my trained pulse and ability to do a smooth job by heart.  so my beloved angled icing spatula that is.

this particular 12” chocolate cake NEEDED to be as smooth as smooth means, as you will read it on Rose’s new book!

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2009 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Hector and Jeanette, I used an aluminum Nordicware mini-bundt, each flower is a one cup capacity, so for the six flowers I used a 60% recipe, worked out perfectly.  My oven must run quite a bit hotter than Annie MacD’s oven, because mine were done in 25 minutes rather than her forty. 

My pan is one of the older ones with a black lining.  I must say that I was happy to find an opportunity to use this pan, I don’t use it very often at all.  I find the size a little too large for single servings, and a little too small for smaller groups.  (It would be perfect for two small servings.)  I was thinking today that it would be nice to have one of the 3 cup and/or 6 cup bundts to use for smaller groups.  I also wonder if the small size of the design contributed to the issues I had with the surface not coming out smooth.  Next time, I will try rapping the filled pan on the counter to see if that will dislodge bubbles from the bottom. 

Anyone have tips on how to get a smooth surface?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 June 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Tammy, Your choc cake with filling looks luscious and decadent!  Julie, I also have the black lined Nordic ware 1-cup mini-bundt pan.  I just guessed 40 mins and they were done but not dry.  Maybe could have done with less time.  There were some small holes on the bottom - especially on the canelles which I piped into the moulds.  I don’t have a picture as I was in a rush.  I did add Kahula to the syrup which gave the cakes that special quality.

Annie

Posted: 21 June 2009 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

just fyi, when using a black lined pan i turn down the oven temp 25˚F as it does bake faster. nordicware is now producing pans only with a lighter lining to avoid this problem. they said ppl liked the look of the dark lining which is why they did it but i’m sure they had complaints over the years about over-browned crust.

the cakes are looking great. such a good idea to make the chocolate party cake as a cake roll (glad it rolled—not all cakes do). it looks so moist and luscious.

by the way, i love bundt pans—the center tube conducts the heat so evenly and the shape is so lovely the cakes need little by way of decoration! there are LOTS of fluted tube pan cakes in the upcoming book!

Posted: 21 June 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

people associate(d) the black finish as a true and obvious non-stick coating.  but now this isn’t true anymore as we know non-stick coating comes in silver, gold, and even green!  but for anything, i would not trade off my black lined rose bundt because it is rose on the outside!  i call it nordic rose

happy father’s day Rose, in a way, you are both, our baking mother and baking father!

Image Attachments
nordic rose 2.jpgnordic rose.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i’ll accept that as gospel—thank you!

Posted: 21 June 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Hector, thanks for posting the picture of the two tier cake. It is goegeous!

Tammy, the roulade looks amazing. You are VERY adventurous.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 June 2009 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, your mini bundts are so cute. I love the different designs. My sister-in-law has the sunflower one and she can never get the cakes to unmold in one piece. They always end up breaking. Three of her friends tried it too with no luck. I tried it a few weeks ago and it worked. I don’t know why it didn’t work for them. They are all very good bakers. I’m puzzled. I used Rose’s pound cake recipe.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 June 2009 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

the two tier white cake with the succulents have traveled quite a stir.  i think the reason this cake works is because the top tier is near as wide as the bottom tier, plus the fondant ribbon and the succulents, all works together, plus the plaster finish of the whipped cream (not smooth fondant).

you do need to know that i always design my cakes ahead of time, down to many piping and decoration possibilities and necessities, but my final design cake always comes out slightly different because i always let the cake itself to guide me, including with what is available to be used as decorations, the time of the day, how the cake will be photographed, how the cake will be served.

always, if i try to copy a design, never comes out the right way.

let the force be with you!!!!!  and trust your peelings…

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Thanks everyone!  Since it was my first time rolling a cake, I did have a few issues… all my own fault.  I let the cake cool too long before rolling it and I rolled it in a Silpat instead of a tea towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.  (Patrincia was kind enough to tell me that is how she does it. Thanks!  I can’t wait to try it again.)  Everything still worked out in the end and it was absolutely scrumptious. 

Julie, I love your mini bundt cakes.  How cute!  I love all the designs.

Thanks for the info Hector.  I’ll keep practicing.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

2 of 3

‹‹ Baby Shower Cake      New to cake decorating! ››