New to cake decorating!
Posted: 22 June 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

I have always made cakes for my children’s birthdays through the years… You know the wilton pans and the star tips… I tried a few free hand designs in the past and they turned out ok for a novice.  But this past six months or so I decided to try my hand at decorating with fondant.  I have made a few cakes I will post pictures to get some feed back.  But my question is I have had a few people inquire about me making cakes for them up until now it has been for family and friends… I have no CLUE in how to even guess as how to charge someone for a cake can someone help me out and tell me where to get started maybe tall me what you think I should charge for the ones I have made… I really enjoy doing this and would someday like to do this as a home based business or at least a part time home based business… any feedback or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated…  It is just so hard for me to charge someone I know for something I have made… I know they would have to pay for it somewhere else… But they are professionals… so I feel uncomfortable charging for my cakes…
Thanks for your input and have a great day!
G. Howard

Image Attachments
fdaycake1.jpgfdaycake2.jpgcake  shower.jpgannakate.jpg

Posted: 22 June 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

G HOWARD:
  Welcome to our baking forum. I for one am enjoying viewing your artistic talents. Good work.
Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 22 June 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you for your kind words… and welcome.  I do enjoy making cakes and doing my best to decorate them….

Posted: 23 June 2009 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Howard:
Your cakes are lovely.  Don’t feel uncomforatable charging.  They look great.  The cost of something like this varies a lot depending on where you are located.  There are definitely business models for how to price something (cost of ingredients/time/etc) but since you are not really running a full time business, I would just price them at what something comperable would cost from a bakery in your area.  (Just my opinion…take it for what it’s worth).  But don’t appologize for charging or for the price.  Set the price…and that’s it.  You do good work and you deserve your fee.

Posted: 23 June 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you Bill,  It is something I will just have to get use to… My husband always tells me I short change myself when it comes to what I think my creations are worth.  But If I am ever going to try to make a go of starting even a part time business I will have to get over feeling guilty about charging for my time.  Thank you again for your kind words and for taking the time to give me advice every word is taken to heart. 

Thank you again
Gayle H.

Posted: 23 June 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

those look great!  I know what you mean about charging,...if you do a search for some of my posts you will see I have big time ordeals when it comes to charging. I undercharge when i put TONS of work in, and then I feel bad when I try to charge someone more, and then it makes me undercharge again lol.  What I did finally was make a price list. That way when anyone asks me to make them a cake or cookies, I am going to say “here’s my price list, let me know if you want to order anything” and then if they do, they will know RIGHT up front.

Posted: 23 June 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thats a good Idea about the list.  It is reallt hard for me to give a price to someone I know because I feel like they expect me to charge them less…. Not that they say anything like that…. It is all me feeling guilty I have to get over that… The people in the bakeries don’t feel bad about charging so I guess I shouldn’t either…  It will come with time…. I am actually making my first cake this weekend that I am charging for…. I think I under charged for the detail but I will get the hang of it here… I think I am going to go check out some bakeries in the area ans see what they charge for cakes…. That will make me feel better… I haven’t paid for a cake i years so I really have no clue as to what they charge these days…. Thank you for your advice I will check out your posts as well.  Take care! 

Gayle

Posted: 23 June 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah i’ve only made 2 cakes that i’ve charged for (and it was more work than I got paid) and mostly i’ve been into cookies, which i have been charging for. They were taking me about 4 hours to complete like 35 cookies and I charged REALLY cheap. Then i kept getting more orders and was like, this is not worth all my time and energy to make $10 lol.

Posted: 23 June 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Great cakes!  You are very talented!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 June 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cakes are well decorated! Don’t feel bad to charge for them smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 June 2009 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you Patricia and Rozanne…. your cakes are beautiful as well…. I just have to get the confidence in my abilities built up… and you have all helped with that a great deal.  Seeing wht you do and then hearing you think my cakes are good makes me feel really great!  So thanks again and God Bless! 

Gayle

Posted: 24 June 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Lots of time put into those—you won’t find those in your local grocery and probably not even a local bakery. Nice work!

Posted: 25 June 2009 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’ve been off line for a few days…so I’m a little late with this post…but again, with respect to “charging less”...My best friend Harriet is a hairdresser…who doesn’t work in a salon but goes to people’s homes, business men’s offices etc.  She charges everyone, inculding family…the same.  She says:” most of my clients are friends and family…and this is how I earn a living…and if I started giving discounts to people I know, I won’t be making hardly anything at all”.  I know that it is hard to do…but I admire her for doing it.  And everyone wants her services (apparently she’s very good…since I’m bald, I don’t avail myself of her services)  and everyone pays.

You do good work.  Set your prices and stick to them. You’ll be surprised at the response.  People are willing to pay for what the feel is “quality”.  If you present yourself as high end people will be happy to pay for it.

Posted: 27 June 2009 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Your cakes are wonderful!

There have been a number of other posts on this forum regarding how much to charge. You could try a search…

If you go around to local bakeries, please, don’t take the prices at supermarkets and large bakeries as a guide! Yours are going to have much better ingredients and more individual care! If there are any fancy, smaller bakeries, those are the ones you want to look at.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! There are lots of people on this forum who can give you wonderful advice on baking for pay and for special events (although I am not one of them). Please come back and ask anytime you have a question!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara