2 of 2
Kindergarten Graduation Cake
Posted: 25 June 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18

ROZANNE:
  Good morning to you my learned friend. Judging from your past presentations this is the kind of excellence that we here at the forum will be expecting from you always.
  Good work Rozanne!!!!!

~CASS.

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Tammy, Annie and Cass smile

Ski, it was a lot of work. I baked and decorated for two whole days. My KA mixer and oven got a good workout.

Annie, only two of the cakes had the fondant decorations. The other two were the same size with no decorations. The school has two Senior Kindergarten classes (16 kids in each class). So each class got two cakes - one display cake and one kitchen cake.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
~FRESHKID - 25 June 2009 03:47 PM

Judging from your past presentations this is the kind of excellence that we here at the forum will be expecting from you always.
  Good work Rozanne!!!!!

~CASS.

Oh my goodness! What have I got myself into?  LOL I will try my best to deliver.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18

ROZANNE:
  Hello again. Rozanne, in your past post were you trying to say “I have yet to find the person however exalted their station in life who did not do better work & put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism.?????”
Now you will have to work harder Rozanne, but we all know you will succeed in your baking projects.
  Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASS.

Posted: 30 June 2009 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

Very beautiful!  You do amazing work!

Posted: 04 July 2009 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
ghoward - 30 June 2009 06:44 PM

Very beautiful!  You do amazing work!

Thank you for the compliment smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 July 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Rozanne, I missed this posting thread somehow last month. Wow, such beautiful work!! I echo all the previous compliments and then some. I have one question because I’d like to learn from you on the issue of quantities needed for large groups (especially those including children). Were your four cakes each a single layer that you sliced in half horizontally, filled, torted, iced and decorated? Or did you bake the 9x13 size (RF 3.5-4) twice for each of the four cakes?

Thanks, Carol

Posted: 20 July 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Carol! Each cake is made up of two 9x13 cakes. I used RF 4. The finished height of each cake was about 4”.

Signature 

Posted: 20 July 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I’m pretty sure I understand, Rozanne. Forgive me if I’m being a bit pedantic here. But with language and math intertwined, it’s so easy to think you understand when you don’t. For each cake, you made two 9x13 layers—each layer at RF4. The batter weight in each layer was 1500 grams (or 3.3 lb). So there was a total of about 3000 grams or about 6.6 lb. of batter used in the production of each cake. And there were 4 cakes, each cake feeding about 45 people (180 divided by 4). Is that right?

I’ve been winging it for years when people asked me how much cake they need. It’s only recently that I gained a little more comfort with the help of a posting from Jeanne. At least, that’s my memory of where I learned about this cake serving chart:
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

The much higher numbers that Rose gives are certainly appropriate for weddings after many-course meals. And when the cake is one of several desserts on offer. But I haven’t known how to gauge for the needs of larger appetites or other situations where a dessert-sized serving would be more to people’s liking than a dainty morsel or what one local bakery here calls “cocktail size.” If I’ve understood your experience correctly, a bunch of hungry youngsters and/or adults can easily demolish cake in keeping with the numbers in earlene’s chart.

I agree that you’ve set the bar pretty high for yourself for future graduations and other family celebrations. And I so *got it* about how all the kids wanted one of the decorative fondant bits on top. That’s what happened at my 4 yo grandson’s birthday party. Not fondant but various decorations, and every child wanted one. I was so glad there were enough to go around!

Posted: 23 July 2009 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Carolita - 20 July 2009 08:55 PM

I’m pretty sure I understand, Rozanne. Forgive me if I’m being a bit pedantic here. But with language and math intertwined, it’s so easy to think you understand when you don’t. For each cake, you made two 9x13 layers—each layer at RF4. The batter weight in each layer was 1500 grams (or 3.3 lb). So there was a total of about 3000 grams or about 6.6 lb. of batter used in the production of each cake. And there were 4 cakes, each cake feeding about 45 people (180 divided by 4). Is that right?

You got it Carol!  smile  That is exactly what I did. Portions sizes are always a huge problem for me too. I am always afraid I’ll run out of cake.

Signature 

2 of 2