contaminated starter
Posted: 27 June 2009 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-01

I have a starter I birthed from Rose’s book, approximately 3 years old.  When I came to feed it this morning, there was a pink slime on the top!  Appears to be some form of mold/bacteria; can it be saved?

Posted: 27 June 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Oooooh, I don’t usually say this, but I would throw it out.  Three years is a long time not to have fed it.  It will only take you 10 days to two weeks to get another one going.  Good luck!

Annie

Posted: 27 June 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

You haven’t fed it in 3 years?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 27 June 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I took it to mean the starter is three years old, not that it hasn’t been fed it in three years. Mattie, you can try cutting off the pink part, and feeding/refreshing it for a few days to see if it can recover—looks puffy and healthy.  Otherwise, you may have to start over.

Posted: 27 June 2009 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I would do the same as Mathew says.  In fact, a starter is a fight between good (colorless) vs bad bacteria (pink, gray).  Good feeds faster: on fresh flour/water.  Bad feeds after: on decomposing flour/water.  Good is “stronger” than bad, but if there isn’t fresh flour/water to feed on, it starts to starve and become weak, which is when the bad comes to feed. 

I used to feed my refrigerated stiff starter once a week, following the exact same quantities on Bread Bible.  Now, I double or triple the amount, and often let 1 month pass before feeding!  Moreover, sometimes I just put the starter in the freezer!  Which buys me even nore time!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/