Cake Recommendation:  Wedding Cupcake
Posted: 30 June 2009 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-01-20

Hi all.  So sorry to start a new thread on this, but I figured it falls into a slightly different train of thought I’m having.  I’ve posted a few different things about this Meyer Lemon Cream Cheese Pound cake over the past months and while I’m having difficulties (haven’t tried the suggestions from that thread just yet) with that, given the shear amount of meyer lemon juice and zest we have I was going to try some other recipes.  I think the reason the mentioned pound cake is at the top of the list right now is that we really love the flavor of the Meyers and I think the cream cheese just leaves behind an awesome creaminess with the cake which I guess something similar/acceptable could also be found in a really moist cake.  The flavor is what really draws me in and I’d want to taste it with a different cake texture to see if I’m missing anything.  I’m currently looking at the Lemon Glow Chiffon Cake on pg 157 of TCB and wondering if that would be a recipe to try out since I’m made Chiffon Cupcakes before.  I’ve also been reading up on the forums about storage/steps for keeping cupcakes moist and I’m thinking of also trying the “honey trick” as I call it now where honey is substituted for part of the sugar in order to give a moister cake.  That being said, if there’s a better combination in someone else’s opinion maybe using the Meyers in a buttercream vs. in the cake, I’d be all ears for those as well.

Thanks!

Posted: 30 June 2009 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  323
Joined  2008-03-19

I love the lemon glow chiffon cake. I have made both the lemon and orange versions, and it is a refreshing cake, totally worth the effort.

Not to throw more avenues of exploration your way, but I just got a copy of “Tartine” by Prueitt and Robertson. On p. 109 is a recipe for Almond-Lemon Tea Cake, which looks scrumptious. Here is part of the description at the top of the recipe: “This tea cake is from Flo Braker . . . and it is one of the most perfectly textured, moist and flavorful cakes I have come across. It is rich with almond paste, which is what keeps it so moist, and it is glazed with a mixture of lemon juice, orange juice and sugar,which crystallizes to create a perfect citrusy-tart contrast to the rich almond cake and helps to seal in the moisture.”

Naturally, this is on my “to-bake” list. I suspect it would work with Meyer lemons.

Posted: 30 June 2009 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2007-11-21

Rose’s Lemon Mousseline is my favorite buttercream.  (Lemon Curd beaten in to mousseline buttercream).  If you have meyer lemons on hand, I’m sure this would be stupendous.  I usually pair this with the white butter cake in the cake bible that has the white chocolate in it (I don’t remember the exact name of the cake).

Posted: 30 June 2009 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

Brian, I’ve made the orange chiffon into cupcakes, they were wonderful.  Bake them to an internal temp of 188-190F to minimize shrinking.  You could pair that with a lemon curd jam cream (made with meyer lemons, if available).  The jam cream is whipped cream based and will not last for hours at warm outdoor temps, is that a concern?

My own preference for cupcakes always leans to the light and fluffy, somehow that texture seems the best fit.  A recipe that would give a similar flavor to cream cheese (but with a much lighter/fluffier texture) would be the sour cream butter cake, it bakes up well as cupcakes.  You could consider adding lemon zest and/or syruping them.  Cupcakes don’t remain fresh/moist as long as layer cakes, are you able to bake them (ideally) same day?

For buttercreams, the classic gives a fresh, tart lemon taste that is wonderful.  I just made some yesterday, I whipped the butter for a full 10” before starting the buttercream, and whipped the eggs to full triple volume, the resulting buttercream was incredibly light and mousse-like.  I flavored it with lemon juice, lemon zest, and limoncello. 

If you need the cupcakes to last at warm temperatures, go for the lemon curd mousseline, make the curd with your meyers.

Posted: 30 June 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

If you like the pound cake, what about the suggestion to make cupcake-sized ring/bundt cakes?  Sherry Yard does this a number of times in her book, Secrets of Baking.

The pan shape/size is pretty important for cakes, it doesn’t always work to take a cake designed to be baked in one shape pan and switch it to another.  I would suggest figuring out your preferences (i.e., is a specific presentation more important, or a specific cake/recipe?) and go from there.  A pound cake will probably need to be baked in a min-tube pan, or perhaps in a greased/floured regular cupcake pan, but then turned upside down so that the molded bottom is up. 

Traditional paper-lined cupcakes seem to work best with layer cake recipes, or perhaps chiffon.  If you need that presentation, try recreating the flavors you like in a layer/chiffon cake.

Have you considered whether you need to bake ahead and if the cakes will need to be out at room temp for a long time?

Posted: 02 July 2009 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-20
Julie - 30 June 2009 03:25 PM

If you like the pound cake, what about the suggestion to make cupcake-sized ring/bundt cakes?  Sherry Yard does this a number of times in her book, Secrets of Baking.

The pan shape/size is pretty important for cakes, it doesn’t always work to take a cake designed to be baked in one shape pan and switch it to another.  I would suggest figuring out your preferences (i.e., is a specific presentation more important, or a specific cake/recipe?) and go from there.  A pound cake will probably need to be baked in a min-tube pan, or perhaps in a greased/floured regular cupcake pan, but then turned upside down so that the molded bottom is up. 

Traditional paper-lined cupcakes seem to work best with layer cake recipes, or perhaps chiffon.  If you need that presentation, try recreating the flavors you like in a layer/chiffon cake.

Have you considered whether you need to bake ahead and if the cakes will need to be out at room temp for a long time?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I’m going to take them and have a fun baking 4th of July Weekend when I’m home.  To answer some suggestions directly, I’m going try scaling down the chiffon recipe and making that into cupcakes, and I still have a bit of cream cheese left so I’m going to try the greased/flour regular cupcake pan or a mini bundt pan if I have time to go and get one.  The next batch of buttercream I make will be the mousseline with lemon curd. (meyers).  As for baking ahead, that’s the thing I’ve been playing with as I’ve done the mini test batches.  I would most likely need to bake the cakes “a bunch” of days earlier.  (exact timing TBD).  I’ve been reading up on this forum and others about freezing cupcakes.  I have a few of the pound cakes in there from last week, and I will take them out to thaw this weekend.

Posted: 06 July 2009 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Success!  Well in a way.  I downsized to cake recipe and made a small test cupcake batch.  They came out good.  One thing I think I want to try to do with it is getting a little bit more of a lemon taste in the cake itself. (I haven’t tried the lemon curd mousseline yet because I had leftover orange Mousseline)  I think I can’t just add more juice to the batter without ruining the leavening that’s there.  Would you suggest more zest.  Or maybe make a simple lemon syrup and brush some on the finished product?

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2613
Joined  2007-11-15

See if you can get some lemon oil.  It’s really the strongest lemon flavor without being too acidic or bitter.  If you can’t get that, I’d go with more zest and possibly a lemon syrup.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

A look at the initial test batch.  This is the un-adjusted batch.  I’m going to the local spice house for some lemon oil today.

Image Attachments
100_9350.jpg100_9351.jpg100_9352.jpg

Posted: 09 July 2009 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2613
Joined  2007-11-15

Adorable!!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 25 July 2009 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

So…just when I thought I had it figured out, turns out I don’t…sort of.  So I was in a pinch for baking some cupcakes for a charity bake sale.  I didn’t have any cake flour, so I had to use AP, but instead of a small scaled down batch of the Lemon Glow Chiffon Cake like last time, I went with the full batch which isn’t a problem except that I used too small of a bowl to combine the whites and the flour/everything else mixture that it became this covoluted 3 bowl pouring/folding fiasco. (probably one of my problems).  I then went to make cupcakes again similar to the pictures I showed above, but this time with actually filling the liners adequately, which gave me about 43 cupcakes.

Order into the oven/what happened: (All 2/3+ full, mixing bowl with batter @ RT while other batches bake)

1) 24 cupcakes: 2-12 cupcake pans side by side, middle rack - cooked fully in 12 minutes, shrink a lot (image to the left) when cooled and not really uniform/circular.  I did leave them in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack.  A few of them scorched on the bottom, probably due to being hotter on the outer edges of the pan closer to the walls of the oven. 

2) 12 cupcakes: middle rack - cooked fully in 16-17 minutes, domed up higher than previous batch so maybe slightly more batter, but I used the same disher/scoop to distribute the batter.  shrunk quite a bit, but seem “presentable”. (shown in the middle)

3) 7 cupcakes: same as above 12 cupcakes (shown in image on the right, when right out of the oven)

Also, the few that I tested/checked had large air voids so I’m guessing my mixing messed things up, but is the first batch not being as “pretty” as the others simply an issue of slightly less batter, putting too many pans in the oven (it’s an old rental apt, so the oven isn’t too great in terms of uniform heat I think), and/or my mixing woes?  I’m not one to give up,  but I’m starting to think if I can’t get reproducible results soon, I may have to look at alternatives :(

Image Attachments
100_9446.jpg100_9445.jpg100_9444.jpg

Posted: 25 July 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Brian, your lemon chiffon cupcake look pretty good, even the first batch.

It seems the oven may have been too hot for your first batch, both from the shorter baking time and the tendency to shrink more.  In my experience, even slight overbaking results in more shrinkage.  Also, if you let the remaining batter sit a room temp while baking the first and second batches, the leavening will have the effect of being reduced, so the later batches would be more rounded on top. 

As for the holes, chiffon batter does that to a certain extent, Rose recommends running a knife through the batter when cooked in a tube pan.  That’s probably not so pracctical with cupcakes.

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Thanks.  The cupcakes ended up being a hit at the bake sale I think.  (I just dropped them off to the animal shelter’s booth, but went back and half of them were gone in an hour).  The later batches were definitely better than the first one, but in a follow up to the earlier posts in this thread, the lemon curd added to the mousseline is simply incredible.  And I’m so impressed with how the buttercream holds up in the weather.  Thanks to everyone on these boards again. (sorry for the rants earlier, was just getting frustrated/worried about being able to pull this off for my wedding in a month)  I know it takes practice to get this stuff right, so I’ll just have to bake more smile  I’m sure my co-workers who are my taste testers will approve. 

In a follow up to the shrinking concerns, the batch from the first time around (the earlier photos with the “white” buttercream and lemon zest) didn’t shrink at all, but compared to the current batch, I really think those first cakes were overcooked and not enough batter at all in the pan. (small and more golden brown than light brown. moist and soft)

Image Attachments
100_9449.jpg100_9451.jpg