TCB Carrot Ring Questions
Posted: 30 June 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-05-01

Hello All.

I have just a few questions before I bake the TCB Carrot cake recipe.
I have seen from previous posts that it can be baked in an 8x2 pan.
Does it hold up well to frostings? I want to torte it and frost with White Choc. Cream Cheese frosting.
Do I need to adjust the baking time or baking soda?

Posted: 01 July 2009 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

i have successfully baked it on a 7x2 pan, so i would assume it will work fine on a 8x2.  no adjustments necessary.  to prevent breaking the layers, you must refrigerate the layers prior to torting as this cake is very soft and tender at room temperature

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 01 July 2009 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I use 2/3 the recipe for a 6x2 and 1 1/2 times the recipe for a 9x2.  No adjustments needed with the baking powder or baking soda. The wh choc cream cheese frosting is lovely with this cake. It just doesn’t pipe all that well—very soft. But certainly, the cake is up to being decorated with that or any other frosting.

Was able to slice the 9” horizontally, fill and torte, then decorate with buttercream and chocolate figures to delight a child who wanted a Nemo cake. Her parents wanted a health-conscious cake, so selecting the whole wheat carrot cake was a no-brainer. It’s also quite yummy!

About the baking time, I learned by trial and error that the 6” needs 50 minutes in my oven. The tester came out clean once much sooner and the cake was tacky, almost but not quite gooey in the centre.  I gave the 9” 45 minutes at 350 and then turned my oven down to 325 for another 20 minutes or so. If you have an instant read thermometer, you’re looking for 205 degrees in the center of the cake.

Posted: 02 July 2009 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-28

I have made the carrot cake recipe into lots of assorted mini cake shapes and sizes, with no adjustments necessary and lots of success. 2 x 6” inch sandwich tins, filled and frosted with the white chocolate butter cream, or 4” rounds, split and frosted have been hugely popular at the school bake sale.

Posted: 03 July 2009 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-05-01

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I am going to try it this weekend.