My first paying gig!
Posted: 30 June 2009 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

Well I got an order from one of my daughters friends for a baby shower cake.  They didn’t know the sex of the baby so we decided to use pink, yellow, blue and green.  The invitaions had pea pods on them so we went with that theme.  I under charged as I didn’t know how long it would take me to finish this cake.  It took me approx 5 hours total.  I told her 45.00 but when I delivered it she liked it so much she gave me 60.00 that made me feel better about it all.  Now if i ever do a cake like this again I am going to charge closer to 75 as it was alot of work.  I also have two orders for birthday cakes this month, as well as my daughters wedding cake… Whew!  I also got another order for a wedding cake in October.. so I hope my daughters turns out and I get that experience behind me and I can gage how much time i will have in a larger cake… I am going to post the baby shower cake and I would love and I would love any suggestions or words of wisdon you all have to offer.  Thanks and have a very happy and safe 4th of July!

Image Attachments
peapod1.jpgpeapod2.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2578
Joined  2007-11-15

Absolutely adorable!!!  Really, really adorable.  The only thing I would suggest for next time would be a more substantial cake base.  You can buy cake drums pretty inexpensively.  I get them at WalMart and Michael’s.  I live a good inch or two around the base of the cake.  Makes carrying the cake much easier too!
PS - the baby in the pea pod is sooooooooo cute!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 30 June 2009 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Yeah when I started making the cake I didn’t check to see what I had in the cabinet as far as the base goes and after I already baked it I realized i only had a 10 inch and needed a 12” I did end up putting it on a glass server before i delivered it and hopefully i will get it back…LOL but I went out and bought more bases yesterday so I would have them on hand.  Thank you for the compliments and the crituqes…. I really enjoy doing this I just want to get better and learn as much as I can…. I hope to someday be able to do this full time or as close to full time so I can stay at home and care for my grandchildren that I hopefully will be getting in the next year or so…. God bless and thanks again!

Posted: 30 June 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Wow that looks great!!!  I think you undercharged!!

Posted: 30 June 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Yeah me too…. but I am going to do like everyone said go to some nice bakery’s and see what they charge for the same type of cakes and then make up a price list and go from there.  But I had fun and learned a little more so it was worth it!

Posted: 30 June 2009 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Absolutely adorable.  Beautiful work!  you should be proud of yourself.

Posted: 30 June 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you Bill!  I have such a good time making the cakes… I really appreciate the compliments!

Posted: 30 June 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

What a great cake!  Like P., I too love the baby in the pea pod.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 01 July 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Lovely whimsical design for a shower, and the baby in the pea pod is too cute for words. You’re off to a roaring start towards your baking goals. Well done!!!

Posted: 04 July 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Lovely cake! I love the colours. You did a great job specially with the baby in the pod.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 July 2009 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you so much on all the compliments… I am making a cake for a boys b-day party on the 25 and I am going to try a surf scene.. i will post pics when I am done.. Wish me luck!  grin

Posted: 13 July 2009 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Very nice cake!