1 of 2
4th of July Cookies
Posted: 02 July 2009 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So here they are…my fondant came out a bit….dark dark pink instead of red,...but oh well. I kind of gave up on these cookies as they took me 3 hours JUST TO DECORATE. THe same lady keeps ordering cookies from me, and at first I was giving her a discount (to get my name out) but she’s like ordering them weekly and I am starting to feel that this is too much work for the amount I am getting paid!! 

Anyways…what do you think?

Image Attachments
phpt5oxatPM.jpgphp2zpgMzPM.jpgphpxY9RTyPM.jpgphpFfwmPJPM.jpg

Posted: 02 July 2009 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

That’s great that you have a consistent customer! Remember to add in for your time, that is alot of it all and half of what makes your product special. That firecracker cookie is really cute!

As for your fondant, when I need a dark color, I add a shade lighter then the primary—start with pink then add the red—and also you can let it sit overnight, it will darken a bit once it rests.

Posted: 03 July 2009 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, they are lovely!  Despite your red coloring issue, they still come across as classic 4th July patterns.

Honestly, I think it would be OK to just tell your customer that you underestimated the time involved and/or that introductory prices were in effect, then charge more.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 July 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I think they look Great!

Posted: 03 July 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah, im going to tell her too, to NOT tell anyone what i’ve been charging her because those are not my prices.

Posted: 03 July 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

A lot of work, for sure. But ski, these cookies look like the baker had FUN! Well done!!!

It’s a learning curve not to sell ourselves short. Glad you’ll be asking more in the future. Your time, materials, ingredients and creativity are worth it!

Posted: 03 July 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Skiweaver9, they look great!  I love the firecracker one too.  But I agree with you, not worth the money for the time involved. Last week, someone ordered 40 cut out hearts from me, decorated in pink and purple.  I gave them a good size cookie, 3 3/4 inches, and decorated very simply with a confectioner’s sugar icing, then sprinkled on my sugars and jimmies.  I spent the better part of 2 days working on 40 cookies!  I had no idea what to charge, as I’d never done these before. I ended up charging $2.35 per cookie, and that was not enough IMHO.  Not for all the work involved.  Will you share what you charged?

Posted: 04 July 2009 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

wow $2.35 per cookie!!! 
I basicaly have been getting paid $25 for a tray of cookies which consists of about 30-35 cookies. So thats about .80 to $1 per cookie. Those were for wedding cookies.  Then she ordered another tray and she wanted a ‘tray and a half’ for a wedding coming up, and wrote on the sheet $40….so I dont know if she means she wants a $40 tray…or she wants a plate and a half and will pay $40?? I love how they just tell me how much they are going to pay me! The good thing is, all they want is a circle with 3 initials on each cookie so they definately won’t take me long to decorate.  So im going to give her about 50 cookies for $40.

Posted: 04 July 2009 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

What part of the country do you live in, Ski?  I’m in the North East, everything here is out of control, LOL.  The person didn’t think that price was bad.  Go figure.  But this kind of cookie is way too much work.

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow, these are great!  I especially like the first photo!  Congrats on the repeat customer.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cookies look very pretty. You HAVE to start charging appropriately.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m in upstate NY!!!

Posted: 10 July 2009 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

The cookies are really cute!  I know how hard it is to charge for your time that is an issue I am having… But if it was you doing the purchasing they would have no problem charging you for their time.. So we are going to have to stop short changing ourselves… But I guess this will all come with time and knowledge!

Posted: 11 July 2009 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Ski,

Your cookies look wonderful! I agree with the others about charging more - I’m afraid I would burn out and feel very demoralized if I was spending a lot of time that I wasn’t getting paid for. Is that starting to happen to you at all? Surely, there WILL be people that will pay appropriately!

On the other hand, it’s great that you’re getting some good practice and feeling more comfortable with being in business. Maybe you could tell this lady, if you haven’t already, that you’re good with one more order at these prices, but that your prices are going up at the end of July (or something else to that effect).

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 11 July 2009 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah its happening to me, and now- i just found out i am pregnant lol, i have NO desire to make a cookie or a cake ever again!!  Thinking about it makes me sick!!!

Posted: 11 July 2009 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
skiweaver9 - 11 July 2009 01:02 PM

yeah its happening to me, and now- i just found out i am pregnant lol, i have NO desire to make a cookie or a cake ever again!!  Thinking about it makes me sick!!!

Congratulations Ski! I am SO happy for you. I can relate to feeling sick and not wanting to think of or see food.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 2