1 of 3
Pie Bake-off
Posted: 05 July 2009 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Here’s my entry for the 4th of July Pie Bake-off.  I made the Apple Crumb Pie from the Pie & Pastry Bible pp 86.  I used mostly Granny Smith apples with a couple of Bramleys.  I already had the pie crust in the freezer.  As the base is baked blind and then washed with egg white, it is beautifully crisp and not at all soggy.  It is absolutely delicious.

Annie

Image Attachments
RoseAppleCrumbPie.jpgRoseAppleCrumbPieSlice.jpg

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

That looks really good Annie!  I like the idea of a crumble topping with the contrast of a crisp pastry base.  The combination of apples is what I use mostly, the Granny Smiths don’t cook down to a mush as the Bramleys tend to so it is nice to have a bit of texture in there.

I’m afraid I haven’t got round to doing any baking yet, I think I’ve lost my enthusiasm for the time being, hope to get it back soon!

Posted: 05 July 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks really delicious Annie!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 July 2009 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks, Jeannette and Rozanne.  This is a truly delicious pie.  You are right, Jeannette, the conrast of textures from the crust, the filling and the topping makes quite a difference in the experience of eating the pie.  The amount of moisture in the filling is just right and the flavour is unsurpassable in my opinion.  This is one great recipe and has to be my standard apple pie from now on!  Thanks, Rose, once again for another winner.

Jeannette, you’ve had a long enough break - get that apron on!!!

Annie

Posted: 05 July 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Right, Boss!  LOL! LOL

Posted: 05 July 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yum that looks so tasty!!!

Posted: 05 July 2009 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

great border and all of it looks terrific! (i can taste it in my mind’s memeory)

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

My Canada Day “Pie in July” lychee tart. We were in a hurry to beat traffic and get to the cottage and so I didn’t get the chance to take pictures after I added the whipped cream on top. I tasted awesome and that’s what everyone remembered.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2009 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, what a great apple pie!  I especially love the picture of the slice, it looks so thick with fruit and you can see the difference between the topping, filling and crust.

Rozanne, your lychee tart sounds so good- is that in the PPB, or did you improvise?

I am just back in town after a weekend away, I did try to make a pie before leaving but didn’t get it all finished, as I had other, non-pie food to prepare and bring for the weekend.  But I do have plenty of crust dough in the freezer now, so hopefully I can find some time this week to submit a late entry!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 July 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Julie. It is basically the Banner Banana Cream Pie with lychees instead of bananas.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Annie - your apple pie looks so good I could take a bite! 
Rozanne - I’ve never had the pleasure of eating lychee, so I don’t know how yummy it is, but your pie looks wonderful!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I have made Rose’s Apple Pie many times so wanted to do something different.  The replacement of the top crust with streusel really makes a difference and makes the pie more festive.  The flavour of the streusel compliments the filling as it too has spices added.  And Rose’s method of macerating the fruit and then reducing the juices really brings out the apple flavour.  Oh dear, I just gave the last three pieces away to my neighbour - everyone is raving about it.

Rozanne, your pie sounds scruptious.  I’ve never made a lychee pie - did you use fresh ones?  I think we can only get tinned ones here.

Julie, your pie will be welcome any time.  I did think that mabe not many from the US would want to actually make their pies over the holiday weekend as it’s such a busy time.  I think Barbara called this bake-off ‘pie-for-July’ or something like that, so there’s plenty time….

Annie

Posted: 06 July 2009 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Patricia and Annie.
Patricia, give the lychees a try. They taste awesome. Very refreshing.
Annie, I used the canned ones. The fresh ones have seeds in them and I didn’t have the time to deal with removing them.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Everything looks delicious.  Great Job!

Posted: 07 July 2009 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Annie, Your apple crumb pie looks perfect and delicious!  Thanks for the wonderful description.  I can’t wait to try it!

Rozanne, that was a clever idea subbing lychee’s for bananas! Very creative and beautiful.  I’ve never had lychees.  What do they taste like? 

I was on holiday in a location without a stove, so I didn’t get to participate ....yet… but since it’s called “Pie in July”... I just might make one before the end of the month….

Awesome job you guys!  You have my mouth watering for pie.  tongue laugh

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIE/MAC/D:
  Good afternoon Annie. I have enjoyed your apple pie photo. You did a good job Annie. By the way Crummie apple pie is my favorite of all my pie baking &  eating.  Annie I am curious, in preparing the crummies did you employ the butter in solid form or
did you melt the butter???.

I look forward to seeing more of your baked products photo’s in the future. Enjoy the rest of the day my learned friend.

~CASPAR.

1 of 3