1 of 2
Best Chocolate Mosit Cake recipe
Posted: 05 July 2009 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-12

Hi All,

Am new here…Am looking for Best Chocolate Moist Cake Recipe…Could anyone can share their recipe…:)

Please help..

Posted: 05 July 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

for years was for me the Moist Chocolate Genoise with Light Whipped Ganache from the Cake Bible.  for right now it would be the Deep Passion Chocolate Wedding Cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes (new book, October 2009).

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I vote for the Chocolate fudge cake in The Cake Bible - filled and/or frosted with whatever your heart desires.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 July 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Like Patricia I love the Chocolate Fudge Cake - it’s super moist.  I like it with either the Light Whipped Gananche or Milk Chocolate Buttercream which is very rich and creamy.  A great combination.  All the recipes are in The Cake Bible.

Annie

Posted: 06 July 2009 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-12

Thanks for sharing…then i have to get a copy of Cake Bible…for all the recipe..smile

Posted: 07 July 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

choc fudge cake!

Posted: 07 July 2009 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Chocolate fudge cake for sure!

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Can hardly believe that in 11 years of working with and learning from TCB, I haven’t made the chocolate fudge cake!!! The next person who asks me for a chocolate cake is getting one for sure, and I’ll make extra so I can have a taste. smile

But I have to say a few words in praise of Rose’s “Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake” which, of course, is the same one featured as the chocolate base cake in the large wedding and special occasion cake section of the book. So many people, myself included, have had problems with this cake turning out dry. But I discovered that properly made and adequately syruped, it is moist, light yet fudgy and so chocolaty. It’s also very versatile in how it works with other textures and tastes in the filling, frosting and decorative elements. I’ve used this cake for everything from a child’s birthday in the shape of a snake to my daughter’s wedding. It’s no wonder to me that Rose made it her go-to formula in TCB for chocolate cake.

Posted: 08 July 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Carolita…a lot of people have experienced the problem of dryness on the chocolate cake.  There are several postings regarding this…it is thought that one of the possible causes is evaporation of the water while the cocoa/boiling water mixture is cooling.  Rose recommends keeping the bowl covered.  You seem to be a much more experienced baker than I am, and I’m sure this isn’t your problem, but I discovered that my liquid measuring cup was off…and I have since started weighing even my water before adding it to recipes.

Posted: 08 July 2009 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate your comment. It’s always good to be reminded of the small things that can make a big difference. My problem back in ‘98, however, was that I was still using volume measurements rather than weight. Nothing wrong with that, but I didn’t understand at the time how much extra flour I was putting into the batter by measuring BEFORE sifting instead of AFTER.

Nowadays, I only work in weights so there’s no problem. Like you, I weigh my water and everything else! But if I’m working from a recipe that’s in volume measurements—and I don’t have the time to convert—I make sure to sift the flour first!!!! The gazillion test cakes I made for my daughter’s wedding taught me that, and a lot besides. Nothing like a mistake to burn a lesson in our brains! smile

Posted: 09 July 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Carolita:
I weigh everything (i’m totally out of my mind- obsessive, just in case you haven’t figured that out LOL).  I keep a chart of conversions and I always weigh ingredients. I have two little nephews with birthdays that are 2 weeks apart.  My sister usually throws one b-day party for the two, and I always make TWO b-day cakes.  One likes chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream, the other likes carrot cake (and he’s 5 years old…go figure).  I have a tiny tiny apartment, and the kitchen is crazy small.  I often balance the scale on the edge of the sink (i know…not a good idea) since there is so little counter space.  I was baking for the birthday party, I made one false move, and my scale with the bowl containing the batter for the chocolate cake, fell into the sink (which was , of course, filled with soapy/dirty water).  Lost my electronic scale, and the batter, and it was about 1:00 AM the night before the party, and I was out of eggs and there are no 24 hour supermarkets in my area.

I had to find a little grocery store open that had some eggs…and then had to remake the cake…with measuring cups.  If you look at Rose’s recipes, for her books she asks you to sift the flour into the cup and then level it off (this gives even less flour per cup than sifting and then spooning into the cup.) It is also time consuming and messy AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I finished putting the last rose and the “happy birthday Alex” on the top of the cake at about 5 AM on the morning of the party (which I attended on 3 hours sleep). 

What we are willing to do!

Posted: 09 July 2009 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Bill, you are the king of all uncles! What lucky little boys to have you baking for them!!!

I can totally identify. Baking is my favourite way to show just how much I love the special people in my life. Thanks for sharing the story. I’m sure many forum readers will see themselves. Going the extra mile is just what we do, huh?

Posted: 09 July 2009 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Bill - do you have a cutting board that you could place over an open kitchen drawer?  Instant additional counter space (better than balancing your scale on the edge of the sink).

Image Attachments
P1060181 (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 July 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Bill, that is such a great story and way up there in the ‘rights of passage’ that we bakers have to endure.  I know it well (different in the detail only).  I think I would have cried more over the cake batter than the scale!

Annie

Posted: 09 July 2009 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh Bill, I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your scale, your batter, and your sleep!  You are a prince among men to stay up and make your nephews those cakes, Bravo.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 July 2009 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Bill, you are a saint! I bet your sister appreciates everything you do for her two boys.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 2