Sourdough Starter
Posted: 09 July 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Hi,

I always consider myself new at baking. I really like Rose’s “Basic Sourdough Bread” that i have made it twice within one week. My boy’s are consuming it more than i can make it so i need to make at least four 1 1/2 lb loaves. I would like to know if there is a chart for making the “Stiff Sourdough Starter” that lists more than one recipe. As it stands I have not been able to calculate the right amounts for 7 recipes, and neither can I bring myself tossing out over 2 cups of dough in the process. Is there a better way that i have not come across?

Can anyone help me here?

Posted: 10 July 2009 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Gingerr, i understand where you come from and have been there!  i also bake more than one Basic Sourdough Bread at once!  i used to do the math, so i don’t waste any starter during the expansion process, but it became impractical because it was too much math to do!  i would suggest just overshot the amount of starter and freeze all the discarded dough.  you can use this dough to make more bread, after thawing, it just takes a little bit extra hours for the first expansion to happen.  there are a variety of uses for frozen starter, i think you can search on the blog, my favorite is to make pizza crust, YES with 100% starter, no extra water or flour.  i have also made bread with 100% starter, no extra water of flour, love it.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 12 July 2009 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Glad I’m not the only crazy one. I just made 7 recipes and found that was not enough. Good to hear i can freeze the extra.  Didn’t know it can be frozen. Thanks for sharing.