Biscuits—using Goose fat!
Posted: 29 December 2007 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

O.K. So I have all this lovely goose fat from roasting a Christmas goose (no joke, the bird gave off at least 2.5 cups of fat!). It’s so absolutely delicious that I’ve just been spreading the stuff on toast (hey, it has less Saturated fat than butter!). Because it’s so good, I want to make biscuits with it to go with my goose stew I’ll be making tomorrow.

I have a general idea that the amount of goose fat being substituted for butter needs to be decreased, but I’m not sure how much.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 December 2007 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

my back went out yesterday but probably more from sitting at the computer than from baking!

so i have to report i have vintage goose fat in my freezer going back about 7 years—great stuff.

when substituting 100% fat for butter which is about 22% water content (please check the cake bible for the exact amount) you use the equivalent amount of the “pure” fat which of course will be less. as the saying goes: you do the math! do report back about the biscuits. i love lard biscuits and i bet goose fat biscuits will be fabulous. in the pastry bible i give a pie crust recipe using goose fat and use it for the ultimate chicken pot pie containing morel mushrooms and i think no peas!

Posted: 29 December 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Rose Levy Beranbaum - 29 December 2007 07:57 PM

my back went out yesterday but probably more from sitting at the computer than from baking!

so i have to report i have vintage goose fat in my freezer going back about 7 years—great stuff.

when substituting 100% fat for butter which is about 22% water content (please check the cake bible for the exact amount) you use the equivalent amount of the “pure” fat which of course will be less. as the saying goes: you do the math! do report back about the biscuits. i love lard biscuits and i bet goose fat biscuits will be fabulous. in the pastry bible i give a pie crust recipe using goose fat and use it for the ultimate chicken pot pie containing morel mushrooms and i think no peas!

Thank you Rose! Yes, my second thought after biscuits, was PIE CRUST. However, if I made chicken pot pie (one of my favorite dishes), I would probably be the only one eating it, as husband isn’t fond of pot pies. But, gosh darn it, I may just make it anyway!

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2007 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Rose,

I also meant to add that I hope you recover quickly! Aching backs are never fun!

Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2007 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-11-17

Is using lard the same as using Crisco or other shortenings?  I used lard for the first time and found it to have made a better textured crust.  Is the content of lard different?  Jo Ann

Posted: 01 January 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

every fat is different and lard is known for it’s ability to create more flakiness.

Posted: 05 January 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-11-17

Rose -  Thanks.  I probably will continue to use lard.  I did notice the flakiness and was happy with the finished product.  Jo Ann