Orange and Chocolate Cake
Posted: 10 July 2009 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-06-30

I’m new to baking, and after a number of failed attempts with cakes, am hoping to learn using The Cake Bible. There is one recipe that I don’t find in the Cake Bible that I’d love to try using Rose’s method (I don’t like the creaming of butter/sugar). Do you think that this recipe could be converted over to Rose’s method of first putting in the dry ingredients and then adding the fat/liquid?

http://leitesculinaria.com/3076/recipes-barefoot-contessa-orange-chocolate-chunk-cake.html

Posted: 11 July 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

TIM:
  Good morning & welcome to our baking forum. Tim, first of all this recipe is referred to as a “POUND CAKE”. It isn’t a pound cake. A pound cakes ingredients with- in reason, say maybe plus/minus 10% variance of it’s main ingredients are almost equal, ie, butter, sugar, flour & eggs.  These ingredients vary by to much in weight. It is simply a BUTTER CAKE. Now then Tim this recipe as shown in the photo is out of balance. The reason that it will bake an out of balance concoction is that it must be baked in a bundt type cake pan. They are very very forgiving of out of balance recipes. I do not believe it will bake in a round typical cake pan…you will get a sunken or fallen center after coming out of the oven.
  I cannot guarantee this but this cake will bake in the typical aforementioned cake pan using the 2-stage mixing method as you have noted & is featured in the cake bible. Why???? because this recipe employs too much liquid & that is a feature in the cake bible recipes.  2, stage means the liquids are employed in 2 stages because they excessive for the flour to absorb all at once but will work by doing it in 2 separate additions…. I call that fooling the flour. I would say go for it Tim, & let us know how well you have done. One more thing my friend, I am questiong the amount of the baking powder. I believe you need MORE then 1/2 tsp maybe like 1.5 tsp. Also notice the eggs she calls for EXTRA large eggs which amount to 2, oz each instead of the industry standard large eggs which as you know weigh 1.75, oz each. (OUT OF THE SHELL) If you do not wish to buy extra large just use the white of the 5th egg together with the 4 eggs. Also Tim, use BLEACHED FOUR for all BUTTER CAKES & POUND CAKES.

Tim, I think I am finished now. Good luck & enjoy the week-end my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 July 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

The Grand Marnier cake with chocolate chips from the Cake Bible sounds and looks similar.  The youtube video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqiNKvD3fAU

Posted: 12 July 2009 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

TIM:
  I just sent you a PM answer. I do not know if I did it correctly because I cannot locate it there. Please post back to me either way. 
~FRESHKID.

Posted: 12 July 2009 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

TIM, here is my E~Mail

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I will answer your question there. If you use it, in the subject box write in TIM/RLB this way I will not delete it from the junk box.

~FRESHKID.