Birthday Cake planning
Posted: 16 July 2009 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-16

Hi there, can anyone advise please how long a sponge cake will stay fresh if it is totally covered and decorated with fondant icing please.  We are making a birthday cake for next Saturday, the sponge is made and am wondering if I should freeze it until nearer the time or will the fondant effectively ‘seal’ the cake.  So we are talking about eight days time…
thanks
L

Posted: 16 July 2009 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t know what recipe you are working with, but if it were me, I would freeze it, without the fondant, in hopes of keeping it as fresh and moist as possible.  I wrap cakes in two layers of plastic wrap then one layer of foil for freezing.

Posted: 16 July 2009 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

If you want to get a jump on things for the party, Julie’s advice is right on. To elaborate, you can do everything up to and including masking the cake with a thin layer of buttercream. That is, fill the layers, assemble them and apply the bc which gives the fondant something to cling to. Wrap well as she described.

One absolutely critical point (sad voice of experience speaking here), keep the wrappings on during the thaw. Make sure the cake is at room temperature through and through before you remove the wrappings. Reason being, condensation from inside a thawing cake will deposit itself on the plastic wrap instead of staying on/in the cake and destroying the fondant you apply. Fondant hates moisture. If adulterated by moisture seeping outwards from the cake, it will start to look ugly. And no amount of corn starch and smoothing will completely hide the mess. Hint: cornelli lace work with royal icing is good for covering cracks.