3 of 3
YEAST VS STARTER
Posted: 26 August 2009 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks, Gingerr. Hope you enjoy the waning days of summer, too, and our transition into Fall.

Good luck with all the canning and gardening. Sounds like you’ll be very busy! Carol

Posted: 11 November 2009 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Carolita,

I have managed to use the recipe you have made the changes. However, instead of baking it in 3 4 1/2 x 8-inch loaf pans I have been using only 2 pans. I have found when i used 3 loafs the bread is very small.  I would like to know if i cut the recipe in half would i be able to make one recipe in the bread machine?

Can I also use this same recipe for making cinnamon rolls?

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

That’s great, Gingerr, if the two pans are better for you than three. I always think that a baker should do whatever works best for them. Have no idea how to make the transition to a bread machine with your recipe or any other. I’ve never used one. Have seen advice on the Internet about converting recipes for the bread machine. You might get lucky with a google search, or someone here might have advice for you.

In my opinion, that bread dough would not work well for cinnamon buns. Generally, cinnies are made from sweet yeast dough, also known as brioche. Rose has a recipe for brioche dough in TCB that she used to create a holiday bread in a pan called Holiday Hallelujah Streusal Brioche, p 94 and also for sticky buns on p 98. No reason you couldn’t roll it out and make regular cinnies with it, if that’s what you want.

Posted: 12 November 2009 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-09

Carolitta,

I wanted to see about halfing the recipe and just run it through the bread machine for a quick work and then tossing it in the oven to bake.  This is for a friend.

AS far as the bread recipe there are times i would like the results to be not be as hard. Is there a way to make it softer?

Posted: 19 November 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-09

Carolita,

I notice the website has changed a bit with Rose on the left and the pink rose everything so welcoming, don’t you think.

I was in a rush making the bread but went ahead with the soaking and following the directions to the “T” instead of baking it for the normal 40 minutes I cut it back to 30 minutes at 400. It came out wonderful. I was able to slice it thinly without falling apart, the taste and texture was marvelous. I would like to go ahead and double the small recipe and make the latter into rolls. Would like to know what temperature should i use and for how long?

I have been searching for a digital bread thermometer and have not been able to find one. Can you help me here?

Posted: 19 November 2009 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Carolita - Your replies to Ginger are excellent - high quality info. I am bookmarking Ginger’s post for future use. Multi thanks. I see we have a master baker in our midst!

Posted: 20 November 2009 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Gingerr, I’m away on holidays right now, so can’t consult my usual references to answer your questions in any detail. But re: softer bread, wonder if you’re talking about the crumb, the crust or both. Buttering the crust immediately after baking and storing in plastic bag after cooling would give you a softer crust. For softer crumb, you’d have to go with a different recipe.

Dinner rolls generally bake in about 20 minutes, but there’s no substitute for trial and error with a particular recipe and your own oven.

Can’t help you with a digital thermometer beyond what I said in an earlier post. I mentioned that I use a Cooper, but I don’t think that brand is available to you in the US. Besides it’s not all that great. Suggest you do a search of the forum and/or blog. There have been several discussions of good thermometers.

Thanks for your kind comments, Paul. Mastery is something I aspire to, but I don’t think I’ve reached it yet!  smile

Posted: 20 November 2009 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-09

Carolitta,

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I will go ahead with 20 minutes. As for the softer bread it is my assumption that I was baking it for 40 minutes which made it rather crusty. I have always brushed the loaves with butter directly after it comes out of the oven.

Happy Thanks giving!

3 of 3

‹‹ Instant yeast      Bread Machine.... ››