Poured Fondant
Posted: 18 July 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-18

I’m new to poured fondant and I was wondering if it is peelable like the rolled fondant? Thanks

Posted: 19 July 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2007-11-27

Poured fondant will dry and crust, it is applied when it is still fluid to the tops of petit fours or eclairs or what-have-you.  As it stands, the fondant will crust but you can still bite through it easily and without resistance.  It’s more a glaze than anything else.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 30 July 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-18

Thank You! I have another question. Once the poured fondant has dried, could you decorate the cake with rolled fondant?

Posted: 30 July 2009 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2007-11-27

I wouldn’t want to eat a cake covered in poured fondant, it’s sort of like royal icing in being very very sweet.  I used to use it to enrobe my petit fours but switched over to tempered white chocolate instead.

Anyway, rolled fondant needs something to stick to (usually you see instructions for coating the cake with jelly or buttercream, or marzipan even before applying rolled fondant), and once the poured fondant has set, the outer layer is crusted over and not sticky, so you’d have to spritz it with a fine mist of water but then that will start the poured fondant melting and you’d end up with a mess eventually.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)