2 of 2
Buttermilk powder
Posted: 24 July 2009 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Julie and Carol for those useful tips on freezing.  I have been using a freezer since the late 60’s but I have never frozen cream cheese and I thought it wouldn’t freeze successfully, should have tried it myself I suppose. LOL!  I always end up throwing it out because it goes off and I hate waste so now I know it freezes that’s where I’ll store it in future!  I like having ingredients for baking in store but it is easy to forget what’s there unless doing an inventory regularly and things do go off,  don’t they?  Since reading it on Rose’s blog I now keep all my nuts in the freezer and also things like poppyseeds and even flour!  It is surprising what you can pick up on these sites! wink

Posted: 24 July 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hi Jeanette! Glad we might have offered a couple of tips you hadn’t come across yet. About cream cheese, the texture does change when it’s frozen. Wouldn’t be suitable for every purpose, at least I don’t think so. But when you whip it up well for a cheesecake or similar, seems to work fine.

Happy weekend to you! And happy baking.

Posted: 25 July 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

Carolita, no correction intended.  I was just trying to clarify that there is a change when diary is frozen, and that this may or may not work depending on what one is trying to do with it.  Because the change is in the fat membranes, higher-fat dairy products (like cream) will probably show a greater alteration than lower-fat ones (like milk).  Whether a reduced volume in whipped cream or a less smooth texture in cheesecake is bothersome is up to each baker.

Posted: 25 July 2009 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

No offense taken, Julie, I promise you. Written communication is funny at times, isn’t it? We were saying the same thing all along. “Sometimes the texture is affected.” btw, I googled Mr. McGee and he certainly does have a lot to offer anyone who’s interested in the science of cooking.

2 of 2

‹‹ Poured Fondant      stacking 3 layer tiers ››