2 of 2
stacking 3 layer tiers
Posted: 22 July 2009 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2007-11-27
tofusalem - 22 July 2009 08:14 PM

thanks Jeanne and Patricia. Firstly, Jeanne, she probably didn’t say anything because someone stuffed some of her fallen cake and mousse into her mouth!  Jeanne, I just got back from Pfeil and Holing and since the long, cutable dowels didn’t fit the plastic plates, I bought 5 inch pre-cut plastc dowels. They attach directly to the plate….four of them to a plate. I was guesstimating that each cake layer made from a 2 inch high pan would wind up being approximately 1 1/2 inches. Three layers would be 4 1/2 inches…plus 1/2 inch of buttercream in between and coating the tier. Hopefully, this will be right. When you use the straws,do you just use the cardboard to support? Thanks.

They have those pre cut dowels in lots of different lengths, I’d go back if you can and get the 4.5 inch high ones, just to have on hand.  My fear is that your total cake height might not get to 5” and it’s best to have a contingency plan smile  Things can settle overnight and you might lose a few fractions of an inch, which would give you a separation that might be hard to hide.

On one hand, I’m jealous that you are close enough to just do a pick up at P&F - I average an order with them almost every other week.  Years ago, their customer service left a lot to be desired, but for the last two or three years, they are a delight to work with.  I don’t even have to give them my customer number any more so maybe I am calling them too much wink

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 23 July 2009 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I’m learning such a lot from this thread! Thanks to all the posters.

Posted: 23 July 2009 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

That’s a good idea Jeanne..I Just figured that the fondant would take up 1/4 inch and the filling inbetween the cake layers would take up 1/4 inch each. It certainly is a good idea to cover all bases.  Sorry if you answered this all ready, but if I use tea straws, can I just use the cardboard rounds, or do I use a plastic plate? By the way every one….just to give me something else to think about….my refrigerator died last night! Luckily, no cakes in the freezer.. but there was some buttercream!!!! They’re coming to fix it(hopefully ) tomorrow. Sigh.

2 of 2