My daughter’s bridal shower cake!
Posted: 20 July 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

I made my daughter’s bridal shower cake this weekend… Well I started it on Thursday evening and after I got home from work on Friday I started decorating.. I was up until 2:30 am…. But I got it finished for the shower on Saturday… It wasn’t as clean as I would have liked but I learned a lot while I was working on it… Her colors for the wedding are black and red so I tried to stay with that theme. I used the white butter wedding cake recipe from the Cake Bible and made marshmallow fondant and flavored it with almond extract….and everyone loved it!

Image Attachments
shower cake1.jpgshower cake 2.jpgshower cake 3.jpg

Posted: 20 July 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

wow thats awesome!!  how did you get black and red fondant!!?? did you use like a whole jar of coloring?

Posted: 20 July 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Well the black I did use a WHOLE lot of coloring… but I didn’t have that much to make so it wasn’t too bad… The darkest red on the big package I used an airbrush it was the first time i had used it my hubby got it for me for my birthday so this was the first time i had a chance to try it… I like it but not sure how it would hold up if i had to cut it after it was sprayed… so I will probably just stick to spraying the larger cakes and doing the decorations the old fashioned kneading in the color way…. Unless anyone has any tips for me…. I am going to do her wedding cake and two of the 5 layers will be black so I would rather paint them than kneed that…. It will just take to long to do that! if you all have any tips send them my way her wedding cake will be the first wedding cake I have tried and I am really getting nervous as i only have 2 weeks before the wedding!

Posted: 20 July 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Gayle, I did my daughter’s wedding cake a few years ago, and the best tip I can give you is to remember to BREATHE!!! smile Literally. Because you love your daughter and it feels like there’s so much at stake in getting every aspect of the cake perfect, there is a tendency to hold your breath while you work. Not just you but people. Anybody. Some also hold tension by clenching muscles in various parts of the body, notably the shoulders. The human brain interprets all of this as ‘THERE REALLY IS A PROBLEM IF SHE’S THAT WORRIED!!!” And we go into stress mode even more.

Whenever you find yourself clenched or whatever your normal stress reaction is, stand up straight and tall. Take some deep breaths and whisper words of faith and trust to yourself. If it helps, you can picture us smiling at you and whispering those same words. Because you must have noticed, we all think you’re terribly talented and so creative. How could we not? Your work speaks for itself.

Also, keep yourself hydrated. It’s too easy to forget about good self-care, when you’re in the midst of a big baking challenge.

Posted: 20 July 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Carolita,

Thank you so very much for the words of encouragement and kindness!  I do know that the past month or so I have been waking up with my jaws really sore and there are times thihroughout the day that I will find myself clinching my kaws tight…. I guess this is where my stress comes out in me… So I will definately takes your words of wisdom and do my best to remember to breath!  I know I will be harder on myself than my daughter ever would be but I do want it to be perfect because it is my daughter….. I do have faith that it will come out just fine and no one will notice any imperfections….. Take care and thanks again for your words…. I will definately post pictures after the wedding is over… Only two more weeks to go her wedding date is the fisrt so say a prayer for me that i hold it all together!
Gayle

Posted: 20 July 2009 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Beautiful cake Gayle! I’m sure your daughter’s wedding cake will turn out beautifully too. Have faith in yourself, you are talented!!!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 20 July 2009 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely cake!  Good luck with the wedding cake, from the looks of it you’ll do just fine.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 21 July 2009 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Very cute!  I can’t wait to see the pictures of the wedding cake. I know it’ll be beautiful.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 July 2009 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

adooooorable!  you could use Chocolate fondant instead of full bottle food coloring regular fondant.  plus it tastes great.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 21 July 2009 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

So cute!! The baby peeking out from under the presents is totally adorable! Can’t wait to see the wedding cake, I’m sure it’ll be beautiful.

Posted: 22 July 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

This is just adorable.  I’ve never done this sort of thing…sort of afraid to try.  I think it is just great!  Congrats.

Posted: 23 July 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22
hectorwong - 21 July 2009 07:34 AM

adooooorable!  you could use Chocolate fondant instead of full bottle food coloring regular fondant.  plus it tastes great.

Thanks I didn’t think of that but i will try it on the wedding cake! 

Thank you for all the compliments.. I am really getting nervouse now but I know it will turn out I am harder on myself than anyone else is!  cheese

Posted: 23 July 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Your cake is just beautiful!! I know how you feel, because I have been driving Patricia, Hector, Jeanne, Rozanne and Carolita crazy with my Wedding cake questions! My daughter’s wedding isn’t until November, and being the compulsive person i am, I have mad at least 10 test cakes in various sizes and recipes.  One of them , a yellow cake with Chocolate Ganache (flavoured with Frangelico…thanks Hector) will be going to a girls night out get-together tonight….concentrating on Cosmos!! You have nothing to worry about after seeing this cake. If there is one thing I’ve learned…it’s just dive in and do it. It’s a cake…not life or death….and it’s for your daughter..she’ll always remember the cake no matter what mistakes there are.  She’ll always remember who loved her enough to do this for her! Congrats…can’t wait to see it so I can get inspired. Claudia

Posted: 01 August 2009 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Terrific job Gayle, I look forward to seeing the beautiful wedding cake!

Posted: 02 August 2009 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2577
Joined  2007-11-15

Fantastic!!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 04 August 2009 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-22

Thanks Claudia,

Reading your words did help to calm me a bit… The wedding was saturday and She loved the cake…. I got many complemnts on it and had many people asking me to do cakes for them up until now I have just done them for family and friends except for the one babyshower cake which she was a friend of my oldest daughters.  Now I am starting to consider to try to get a cake business but I have no Idea where to start and what the laws are here in Tennessee… So I guess I will have to start looking into all the legal aspects of it… Wow thats even scarier!  I posted the wedding cake on a new thread let me know what you all think!