Uneven Oven heat
Posted: 23 July 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-06-25

Hi,
I live in an aprtment and the oven heats unevely, that is, its hotter in the back than in the front. This is fine when I have to bake a small sized cake. With a big sized cake there is no way to avoid it. One side gets baked quicker than the other.
Anyone have any solutions or advice.

Thanks.

Posted: 23 July 2009 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

KW_12:
  Good day. I have never had this happen to me so I can only suggest to you a remedy that I think may help. Try covering about 1/2 of the cake pan with alum. foil for about 30, minutes. Then observe the amber colored top surface to figure out if you should continue in this manner or perhaps it is baking evenly. If it works for you make notes so that you can continue using this fix in the future. I hope this fix will help your cake baking. Have a nice day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 23 July 2009 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

just throwing this out there, how about turning the cake half way through? that way the back will cook faster and then the front will cook fast when you turn it lol

Posted: 23 July 2009 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, rotating the cake is a good idea, as long as it is not a sponge cake.  Keeping a baking stone in the oven helps to keep the heat even.

Posted: 24 July 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-06-25

Ski, Matthew,
Thanks for your input.
Like I mentioned its not a problem when I am baking smaller sized cakes. When the cakes are large, its a problem turning them around at half time as large cakes are fairly jiggly at this point and they could collapse, especially sponge & genoise cakes.

Fresh kid,
I will give the alum foil a try and see how that works.

Thanks all.